Who needs I line Guard, I do!

The J. W. Young and Allcocks Reels forum.
Mr B
Arctic Char

Who needs I line Guard, I do!

Post by Mr B »

I am having trouble now keeping the line from going over the back. I fish with a reel resting on my hand and continually look at the line.
I'm not much of a gadget man but wondered if there was a line guard made for my reel?
I have sort of got used it now, but when the light gets dim and fine lines, I find it a real pain. A wider spool would help.
I hooked a nice fish a few night ago and I was more concerned about the line staging on the reel than I should have been.
My old Allcocks Bakelight reel has a line guide, albeit very dated but it works.
I was thinking of drilling a couple of holes in this one and making something up?

Mr B
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The close season is an important and interesting time for the Angler who set out to catch big fish. It is a timely opportunity for him to make new tackle or renovate old. There are no end of jobs to do, apart from those horrible things called Gardens!

EricW
Perch

Re: Who needs I line Guard, I do!

Post by EricW »

I have a line guard on my trudex and still have problems occasionally. Following the advice of my old mate Pete, I now have the line on my trotting reels coming off the top. This reduces friction through the butt ring making it easier for the current to pull line off the reel and at the same time reducing tangles, you just have to wind the reel the other way. Nothing is totally foolproof but it works for me.
These are the Golden Years. Don't waste them.

Here are some of our fishing films that you may enjoy
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrUkLb ... -bz8H_vr7A

Tengisgol
Barbel

Post by Tengisgol »

Gary Mills would fit one for you at https://www.milltackle.com/hand-made-centre-pins
Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

Rutilus
Roach

Post by Rutilus »

In his book, Catch Barbel with John Wilson describes making a line guard for the aerial. If you want I can do you a copy and post.
PM me if that's any help.

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

Line off the top - could - solve all that!

I sit the reel in my palm and move the spool if necessary with my thumb to let out line.
And use other hand (left as I am right handed) to retrieve line.

Mr B
Arctic Char

Post by Mr B »

All great cements..
I must say I feel better now John Wilson had the same problam! I think I will try a DIY job on it..
But thanks for the link Tengisgol.. I did have a look..
For a few yeas as a kid I used to wind in backward with the line at the top of the reel..mmm, I do get more tangles now????
Mr B
The close season is an important and interesting time for the Angler who set out to catch big fish. It is a timely opportunity for him to make new tackle or renovate old. There are no end of jobs to do, apart from those horrible things called Gardens!

Mr B
Arctic Char

Post by Mr B »

Just seen this post......

Just FYI (if you don’t already know), the line guard from a Record Breaker fits perfectly onto a Match Aerial.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mr B
Arctic Char

Post by Mr B »

Tengisgol wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 8:00 am Gary Mills would fit one for you at https://www.milltackle.com/hand-made-centre-pins
I gave hime a call today...
I will be sending it in next month.... thanks for the contact...

ReelMaker
Brown Trout

Post by ReelMaker »

Good morning,I found the problems still arise with a guard ,I found the Rapidex design is much better,Terry

Ljm183
Rainbow Trout

Post by Ljm183 »

Got an original Aerial line guard in a Youngs Reel First Aid kit

Return to “J. W. Young and Allcocks Reels”