Carp on an Avocet....

This forum is for discussing carp.
Digger
Minnow

Carp on an Avocet....

Post by Digger »

I've been fishing for the very elusive tench on my local drain since June the 16th with very little success. No tench and none seen. I was just beginning to think that I might switch over to the Roach in mid September when this happened. Probably the best fish of the season for me. Float fished corn in weedy very clear water. I was very lucky to land it on tench tackle and had to follow for some way along the drain before finally netting. The barbless size 10 held and the rod came out unscathed although it was out of it's depth for a few moments.

A priceless experience I wont forget. Hope you like it.

Catfish.017
Eel

Re: Carp on an Avocet....

Post by Catfish.017 »

Well done Digger, though I'm sorry to hear you've had no luck with the Tench, they really do make a Summer don't they? Curiously I had my biggest Carp, a very similar looking fish to yours, using an Avocet 'clone' and Flick 'em pin

PershoreHarrier
Rainbow Trout

Post by PershoreHarrier »

Very well done on a whole cane butt Avocet - did you have the chance to give the fish the benefit of the scales?

Digger
Minnow

Post by Digger »

Hi PershoreHarrier

It was 17:12 which is fairly modest these days but gave me more of a thrill than some far bigger have done in the past...

PershoreHarrier
Rainbow Trout

Post by PershoreHarrier »

Digger wrote: ↑Tue Aug 31, 2021 11:55 am Hi PershoreHarrier

It was 17:12 which is fairly modest these days but gave me more of a thrill than some far bigger have done in the past...
That is indeed an excellent achievement with a whole cane butt Avocet. My PB Carp of 22.12 was caught using an B.James Avocet - the all built cane version which although bearing the same name is a totally different and far more powerful rod.

Great credit to you Digger - I am sure it will live long in the memory. :Hat:

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

Well done Digger :Hat: Sounds like a memorable capture! I'm not familiar with whole cane Avocet's but yours looks mint judging by the pictures, is that the original cork?

Digger
Minnow

Post by Digger »

Hi Liphook

Thank you. Yes, I believe it is the original cork and I have tried my best to keep it minty. I use it for most of the summer, chasing tench from rivers and drains and clean each time I use. I try not to use it when rain is forecast.It was the classic rod I most coveted and waited 15 years to find the right one. Switching onto something lighter for those Autumn Roach in a few weeks......

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

It's a credit to you sir :Hat:

Aitch
Pike

Post by Aitch »

Well done Digger... Chris Yates used an Avocet at Redmire so he was confident in their abilities... a lovely rod and a cracking Carp...πŸ‘ :Hat:
Just one more cast love, and I'll be on me way home

Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but pictures and memories

Digger
Minnow

Post by Digger »

Thanks Aitch. I didn't know that but I suppose he would have used lots of different rods that took his fancy over the years he fished there. I used my Mk IV and Merlin at Redmire for a few years but didn't land any biggies. In fact the MKIV got wet and split the male ferrule collar one morning; I actually heard it pop! Now repaired but it was a reminder of how the weather can get into cane rods if not careful with all that original porous varnish......i'm more careful now.

Cheers again

Return to β€œCarp (Cyprinus carpio)”