Hook size inconsistencies

The place you will find all those traditional terminal tackle items.
Coral Maestro
Chub

Hook size inconsistencies

Post by Coral Maestro »

Has anyone noticed how inconsistent hook sizing is nowadays? Here is a picture of different model size 18 hooks from the same manufacturer:

What do they know of fishing who know only one fish and one way to fish for him?
- Jack Hargreaves.

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Re: Hook size inconsistencies

Post by Dave Burr »

CM, You are comparing apples with oranges. It's because they are different patterns. The one on the right is a wide gape which requires a shorter shank whereas the one on the left is a straight point. The straight shank is actually longer (bigger?) than the wide gape which, due to the extra strength needed to retain its integrity under pressure, has a heavier wire.

Hope this helps :Hat:

Nigel Rainton
Rainbow Trout

Post by Nigel Rainton »

Dave,

Far be it for me to disagree with the TFF aristocracy but . . . . the size of the hook is the measure of the gape. There is no such thing as a wide gape 18, it would be a size 16.

What has made it even more confusing is the introduction of odd numbers. My favourite Tiemco dry fly hooks are size 11 and 13 :-(

Awaiting inbound :-)

Old Man River
Eel

Post by Old Man River »

I gave up buying hooks by quoted manufacturers size many years ago.
I much prefer to actually see what I am buying and buy to my requirements.
Hook sizes in my opinion mean very little. This moves across to the saltwater hooks I use either off the beach or boat as well.

I have no use for a hook smaller than a size 16 as I used to understand it anyway, and tbh rarely use anything smaller than a 14 old scale anyway.

David
Hurrumph....... whatever happened to Handlines ?

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

Like the above - however that my be due to my eyesight as I approach that dreaded time - 'Old Age'!!

The size of the hook is based on the gap between the shank of the hook and its shaft (known as its gape) as well as the length of the shaft. It's given as a number and the bigger the number, the smaller the size of the hook — up to a point.***

I don't think that's how some Co's do it?
Last edited by Olly on Mon Sep 06, 2021 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Catfish.017
Eel

Post by Catfish.017 »

I'm with C M and N R on this, the over riding benchmark should be the gape. Any variation from a standard should be in the description of the shank length. So going back to C M's photo, the hook on the right should be marketed as a short shank 16. To say it's an 18 is nonsense.

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

Hook sizes in Japan were odds and evens! Back in the 90's Owner and Maruta Kinryu companies made hooks with the largest size being 14 downsizing to size 7. Kuroshio ones were from 5 to 9. All spade end very sharp hooks used for carp, tench, barbel, chub, etc

Coral Maestro
Chub

Post by Coral Maestro »

Thanks for all your comments. The whole point of a post such as this is to stimulate conversation and hear what people's opinions and experiences are.
The issue I have in this case is that if you are "distance buying" such as from Amazon, Ebay or online fishing stores it's useful to know what size hooks you are going to receive. If there are inconsistencies in hook sizes between manufacturers or within one manufacturer's range then you won't know what you are going to get. In my case I mainly stick to patterns I already have experience of.
What do they know of fishing who know only one fish and one way to fish for him?
- Jack Hargreaves.

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

The 'patterns' of modern fishing hooks is an absolute minefield ... and would that it were as simple as NR's assertion that "the size of the hook is the measure of the gape."

The hooks in CM's first post are completely different, and are for different baits. The PR 26 (now discontinued) was designed for angling with pinkies, whereas the PR 478 with a wider 'gape' is designed, according to Prestons, for fishing larger baits (I assume like pellets etc).

It's not possible to compare hooks with different pattern numbers, and maybe also made by different manufacturers (or cheap unbranded examples).

All I can suggest is ... find a hook in the style you like, made my the same manufacturer, and stick with it ... only then you can be sure of consistency.
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Fred
Grayling

Post by Fred »

I find it easier to stick to one make and model no. these days as there so meany different brands out there you can get in a muddle.
If I find some thing that works I just stick with it.
Fish come and go, but it is the memory of afternoons on the stream that endure

Return to “Traditional Terminal Tackle”