Rust stains

A forum to show any of your restored or built traditional fishing reels.
Goose
Minnow

Rust stains

Post by Goose »

I have just stripped the rings off a Norcro “The Crofter” #8/9 fly rod and the middle section is very badly stained where the old guides have been left to rust for what looks like quite a few years.
I’m hoping someone has some idea on how I can elevate the problem in some way.

Malcolm
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Life is an adventure, bring a fishing rod and a camera.

Woodytia
Crucian Carp

Re: Rust stains

Post by Woodytia »

Oxalic acid might work, but I suspect the staining goes right into the fibres of the cane and may of reacted with them to form some sort of stable compounds that nout will shift.

Paul F
Sea Trout

Post by Paul F »

I am yet to find a way to get rid of it, just a light sanding cleans them up enough, and just over whip.

Fredline
Tench

Post by Fredline »

Same here. I have tried quite a few things but nothing was successful so I just sanded them down and whipped over them leaving the rust staining that is on show as part of the rods history.
If you have no grease with you, and your rings are full of ice, do not cut out the ice with a pen-knife but get your man to put the rings one by one in his mouth, and so to thaw the ice.
John Bickerdyke.

Old Man River
Eel

Post by Old Man River »

edited
Last edited by Old Man River on Mon Sep 06, 2021 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hurrumph....... whatever happened to Handlines ?

Old Man River
Eel

Post by Old Man River »

I have always left the rust marks in situ because I could not fathom out how to remove them, the only thing I could think of would be to try and paint the cane over the marks,with a suitable colour, trying for a suitable shade that would tone down to the original cane colour .I have no idea how you would colour match, but it must be possible.

Spoke with SWMBO who does a bit of artwork occasionally, and it seems that maybe an acrylic paint could be the easiest to mix and match, being waterbased it would just come off quickly if things went wrong .

hmm… I have quite a few cane sections some with rust marks , I may just have a go as an experiment.Not sure how it would take a varnish coat though, hopefully once dried it would be ok.

David
Hurrumph....... whatever happened to Handlines ?

Catfish.017
Eel

Post by Catfish.017 »

I posted recently on using transparent 'stain' pigment acrylic paints to colour match shades of cane. A smidgeon of white can be added if a degree of opacity is required.

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

I have never tried to remove them ... working on the basis that they add to the 'history' of the rod ... like battle scars to be carried with pride rather than hidden or removed ... but that's just me.
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

BoltonBullfinch
Arctic Char

Post by BoltonBullfinch »

AshbyCut wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 10:47 pm I have never tried to remove them ... working on the basis that they add to the 'history' of the rod ... like battle scars to be carried with pride rather than hidden or removed ... but that's just me.
Spot on for me also, I just make them smooth and rewhip over them. 90% of the time they end up fully covered by the fresh whippings.

Thanks
BB
'We fish a lot' Forrest Gump.

Jeremy Croxall
Zander

Post by Jeremy Croxall »

It's usually only a problem if you're re spacing rings during a rebuild.
Oxalic acid works quite well with repeated applications.
Soak a piece of kitchen towel in the solution, wrap it around the stain and leave over night.
If it doesn't completely remove the stain, it does make it less obvious.
Be careful of the fumes and wear disposable gloves.
You need the water to be very hot when mixing with the crystals.
"Oh for want of rod and line I'd fish this stream serene, sublime".

Return to “Traditional Reel Building and Restoring”