BB’s Christmas Port

This forum belongs to BB (Denys Watkins Pitchford).
Chris R
Stickleback

BB’s Christmas Port

Post by Chris R »

I first came across BB’s writing when I was about six years old - in the form of the Bill Badger series of children’s books. My wife has a first edition Monty Woodpigs Caravan, unfortunately slightly chewed by one of her dachshunds. Anyway back to 1962. I consumed all the BB books in the children’s section of Market Harborough library and on a visit to my grandparents house l came across a BB book in their book case; it was Letters From Compton Deverell. Being only six l had assumed that BB was a children’s author, so it came as a real surprise to find that he wrote ‘grown up’ books as well. I asked if I could borrow it - I still have the copy now nearly sixty years later.

Jumping forward a couple of decades to 1982. I wanted to say thank you to BB for all his wonderful writing and beautiful scraperboard drawings that gave so much pleasure. l’d picked up that he was fond of port, so l bought a bottle of the best port I could find and just before Christmas called in at the Round House in Sudborough to drop it off. It was mid afternoon and he was putting his car away in his garage.

“Mr. Watkins Pitchford?” I enquired. He looked at me suspiciously and I explained that I had collected most of his books and wanted to thank him for his writing that helped define me and many other people. I handed him the bottle. He was very courteous and thanked me profusely. We got to talking about wildfowling and he described his experience of fowling in The Wash in the 1930’s. He told me about how the marsh had been changed by reclamation work. He wanted to illustrate the shape of the old sea wall at Shep Whites at Holbeach and as we were leaning against my old mk..3 Cortina that was in need of a good wash, he drew a map of the sea wall then and the sea wall now in the grime on the car roof. I didn’t wash my car for months…..

Pallenpool
Zander

Re: BB’s Christmas Port

Post by Pallenpool »

What a wonderful anecdote.
:Hat:
No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man.

Heraclitus

www.thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk

Carp Artist
Arctic Char

Post by Carp Artist »

I would have cut that section out of the roof and framed it. :Wink: :Hat:
Not a fish was visible that first time I visited Beechmere; an utter
stillness brooded over the place and I felt the strange and sinister atmosphere which, so the story goes,
has been the cause of several suicides.’
BB – Confessions of a Carp Fisher

Fredline
Tench

Post by Fredline »

A great story Chris. I only discovered BB's wonderful stories 15 years ago and so missed out for many years. I would love to have read Brendon Chase when I was a kid.
If you have no grease with you, and your rings are full of ice, do not cut out the ice with a pen-knife but get your man to put the rings one by one in his mouth, and so to thaw the ice.
John Bickerdyke.

Chris R
Stickleback

Post by Chris R »

He was so prolific, writing across quite a few genre: children’s books, travel,shooting, wildlife & conservation, fishing and novels such as Manka the Sky Gypsy, Wild Lone and Lepus the Brown Hare. I was lucky in discovering BB as a child, but books like Down the Bright Stream and The Little Grey Men must surely appeal to anglers of all ages.

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

A brilliant story Chris, and borrowing a book for 60 years. :Hahaha:
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Chris R
Stickleback

Post by Chris R »

I’ve got 5 grandsons and 1 granddaughter- if Karma intervenes on the subject of borrowed books I’m going to lose a substantial part of my BB collection.

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

I absolutely love BB - as so many do :Thumb: His illustrations to me as a dyslexic are just as, if not more so, important as his writing. Right there along with CFT for me. A true master :wave:

Silfield
Brown Trout

Post by Silfield »

A lovely story Chris and thank you for stirring the brain cells!
Because of this post I did a bit of digging around on the web looking at some of his works only to realise that I had been read 'The Little Grey Men' as a child.
I found a well loved 1942 1st edition for very little outlay and look forward to reading it to my youngest at bedtime.
“There is certainly something in angling that tends to produce a serenity of the mind.”
Washington Irving

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

BB drew on your car roof, now that's a tale to make TFF members drool with envy. Well done you on seeking him out and presenting him with the port, I expect that he enjoyed every sip.

Return to “BB (Denys Watkins Pitchford)”