Orange Lips

This forum is for discussing tench.
Coral Maestro
Chub

Orange Lips

Post by Coral Maestro »

I caught this Tench today here in France and was surprised at how orange the lips were:
It seems that most fish that come from the clear water barrages are vividly coloured.
What do they know of fishing who know only one fish and one way to fish for him?
- Jack Hargreaves.

Catfish.017
Eel

Re: Orange Lips

Post by Catfish.017 »

Looks like a Wrasse?

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

That’s suits it very well! I wonder if there’s something in their diet that is unusual?

Phil
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Coral Maestro
Chub

Post by Coral Maestro »

Duckett wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 9:39 pm That’s suits it very well! I wonder if there’s something in their diet that is unusual?

Phil
I suspect their diet is a combination of crayfish and carp angler's bait.
There are now 6 species of crayfish present in France, most seem to have arrived from America:
The American crayfish (Orconectes limosus), Pacific crayfish (Pacifastacus leniusculus), Louisiana crayfish (Procambarus clarkii),
Slender-legged crayfish (Astacus leptodactylus), Juvenile crayfish (Orconectes juvenilis) and the Calico crayfish (Orconectes immunis).
The Tench seem to have a good selection to go at!
What do they know of fishing who know only one fish and one way to fish for him?
- Jack Hargreaves.

Grumpy
Arctic Char

Post by Grumpy »

Blimey!Hope they don't manage to cross the Channel.

Wallyboy Rob
Chub
Location: On the Wally as often as possible ( Portsmouth area)

Post by Wallyboy Rob »

We have been getting Tench in the Wally with orange bellies, I presumed there may have been a throwback gene to an ornamental fish but later was told that there had been reports of Carp becoming discoloured due to eating Dynamite baits red robin pellets which could explain the phenomena as the most popular bait in the lake upstream of the pool the Tench come from is red robin pellets, the chap that told me about the discoloured Carp also said that Dynamite baits were changing the ingredients in those pellets.

IMG-20201118-WA0001.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
going with the flow - You gotta luv them gonks

"There's no way you're going to get a quote from us to use on your book cover" Metropolitan Police spokesperson
from the back cover of Wall and piece - Banksy

Coral Maestro
Chub

Post by Coral Maestro »

That seems to have a hint of Golden Tench colouration in it. Are there any Golden Tench in the water?
- Jack Hargreaves.

Wallyboy Rob
Chub
Location: On the Wally as often as possible ( Portsmouth area)

Post by Wallyboy Rob »

None that I know of CM
going with the flow - You gotta luv them gonks

"There's no way you're going to get a quote from us to use on your book cover" Metropolitan Police spokesperson
from the back cover of Wall and piece - Banksy

Return to “Tench (Tinca tinca)”