Fishing lily pads?

This forum is for discussing Other Traditional Float Fishing Techniques.
Cat
Chub

Fishing lily pads?

Post by Cat »

Afternoon All,
I'd like to have a go at a bit of carp fishing near the lily pads with a MkIV as autumn comes upon us, but want to avoid being snapped and leaving a hook in + wish to avoid ripping the pads to pieces if the fish decides to dart in there? So, my question is, when do the pads start weakening and any deliberate fishing near them isn't going to detrimental to fish, rod and pads, or shall I just simply avoid? Using 9 or 10lb line with a 550, and don't want to go heavier with a more powerful rod and have to bully fish that are up to around 20lb.
Thanks Cat

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Re: Fishing lily pads?

Post by Dave Burr »

I used to fish a pond where the carp could only take a bait right next to the pads. If you just struck and sat tight you got snagged and invariably lost the fish but, if you hooked the fish and immediately walked away from the lilies with the rod fully bent, they came with you and were always landed. None of the fish were over 10lbs but I was using a light Avon rod, probably hollow glass, at the time. A 550 may struggle with 20lb + fish but the walking method is surprisingly effective.

Braided lines cut through lilies quite well but, there are lilies and lilies, some are like anchour cables.

Hovis
Tench

Post by Hovis »

Cat wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 1:03 pm Afternoon All,
I'd like to have a go at a bit of carp fishing near the lily pads with a MkIV as autumn comes upon us, but want to avoid being snapped and leaving a hook in + wish to avoid ripping the pads to pieces if the fish decides to dart in there? So, my question is, when do the pads start weakening and any deliberate fishing near them isn't going to detrimental to fish, rod and pads, or shall I just simply avoid? Using 9 or 10lb line with a 550, and don't want to go heavier with a more powerful rod and have to bully fish that are up to around 20lb.
Thanks Cat
Interesting post Cat. My experience is that even when the surface vegetation has started to died back there is still significant submerged growth (the leaves you see on the surface are only part of the total plant). The biggest issue is the tough stalks rather than the actual pads. The climate is changing and now the growth season seems longer, I've certainly seen pads on the surface in late Nov. The best advice I can give is go prepared. Not quite hit and hold tactics but being able (and confident) to use the tackle to its full ability to turn fish away from snags (of all types). Also fishing close to your rods so you can react immediately is essential.
I have laid aside business, and gone a'fishing.

Izaak Walton

Cat
Chub

Post by Cat »

Thank you both for your prompt replies...indeed, stalks like barrage balloon cable in places. Nothing I believe over 20lb in there unless I'm mistaken...the largest I've taken was around 18lbs (rarely weigh fish), and the 550 seems up to it if used carefully in open water (the Marco Elasticane Carp wasn't quite and is now a bit more 'Robin Hood' esque, although probably a slightly lighter test curve).
Regards Cat.

Grumpy
Arctic Char

Post by Grumpy »

In one lake I fish there are two types of lily.I think I am right in saying the Lilies with white flowers are the native British lily and the ones with yellow flowers are ornamental imported lily.The native lily is generally ok,long stalks rising from the bottom to surface.The non native can be a swine as they have large roots that can be above the bottom.
Whenever I get a Tench or Carp stuck in lilies I put the rod on the rests with some slack line and sit and watch the line.Most times the line will start to move.I give the fish a few feet of line then apply steady pressure,usually the fish can then be coaxed out.
I concur with DB re walking back but you do get the odd occasion when they get in the lilies before you can react quickly enough.
Hope this helps.

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

I severely mullered a 550 when trying to prevent a carp gaining the nearby tree roots after hooking the fish under my feet/rod tip - maybe not 20+ but pretty close. The t/c is about 1.5lb and great for open water but I now use and prefer a Hardy LRH 2 for that reason. The 550 was used & designed for carp but they have grown larger with more numerous bigger fish. Great for tench whose record has nearly doubled over the years.

A record carp of the early 20th century came from a lily infested reservoir where later most of the fish had badly damaged mouths from anglers fishing in the pads using large hooks and hauling them out

By the way - the rod regained it 'composure' and is now straight again!

Cat
Chub

Post by Cat »

Um, we are definitely talking yellow lilies!

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

The pure white Alba water lily (Nymphaea alba) is the only water lily native to the U.K.

I fish 2 gravel pit waters, at opposite ends of the country, where the main lily present has leaves barely 4 inches across with stems only about and 8th of an inch thick but that can grow 10 feet long! All the advantages of water lily fishing and none of the disadvantages. Mind you, I spent last week fishing this:

From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Cat
Chub

Post by Cat »

Now you're asking, I'll have to have a proper look!

Return to “Other Traditional Float Fishing Techniques”