Deep hooked chub. Unusual experience.

This forum is for discussing chub.
Snape
Bailiff

Deep hooked chub. Unusual experience.

Post by Snape »

I managed to deep hook a good chub when fishing recently. The hook was well down its throat and I could hear the pharyngeal teeth grinding on the hook. I was struggling to get it out when the fish seem to spasm and almost cough and the hook popped right out of its mouth.
Has anyone else experienced this?
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Catfish.017
Eel

Re: Deep hooked chub. Unusual experience.

Post by Catfish.017 »

Similarly I've often put a deep hooked fish in the landing net in the margins whilst rummaging for the forceps, only to find the hook out in the net when I've lifted the fish back out.

Pallenpool
Zander

Post by Pallenpool »

This probably accounts why chub in particular have an amazing capacity to snag you - and then jettison the hook - all comes back minus your fish.
No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man.

Heraclitus

www.thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk

Tengisgol
Barbel

Post by Tengisgol »

Dave Burr showed me some pharyngeal teeth from a chub once, bloody hell!
Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

Pallenpool wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 1:28 pm This probably accounts why chub in particular have an amazing capacity to snag you - and then jettison the hook - all comes back minus your fish.
Yes, this came up when I mentioned it to a friend. It could well explain that phenomena.
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.

Moley
Brown Trout

Post by Moley »

Don't let this deep hooking mullarkey happen again, naughty boy......take ten house demerits.

Any more of this carry on and it's straight to 'the beak' for you and a caning in front of the whole skool.

In my day you would have been flogged for such an admission, so count yourself very lucky indeed we live in more enlightened times, boy!!!

Any way good outcome for the chub but remember I'm watching you for any further transgressions...thin ice Snape, thin ice......

As ever,...

Moley
Say aye tae'a pie!

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

Moley wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 8:44 am Don't let this deep hooking mullarkey happen again, naughty boy......take ten house demerits.

Any more of this carry on and it's straight to 'the beak' for you and a caning in front of the whole skool.

In my day you would have been flogged for such an admission, so count yourself very lucky indeed we live in more enlightened times, boy!!!

Any way good outcome for the chub but remember I'm watching you for any further transgressions...thin ice Snape, thin ice......

As ever,...

Moley
Sorry, Moley! :Hide:

Caneforme
Perch

Post by Caneforme »

Just looked on line at some Chub pharyngeal teeth, OMG no wonder they can crush shells!

John :)
This royal throne of kings, this sceptered isle,
This happy breed of men, this little world,
This precious stone set in the silver sea,
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England.

Phil Arnott
Chub

Post by Phil Arnott »

Chub hooked in the mouth transfer the hook by biting on weed and tree roots. It's described in a book but I can't recall which one. The author described how he hooked a number of chub which swam into the tree roots on the opposite bank and left he stuck in them. A guy on the opposite bank watched events and saw the chub biting on the tree roots for a while then just swim off leaving the hook on the root. I've had lots of chub transfer the hook to weed but one day while playing a chub it swam towards me and bumped into my keepnet for a split second instantly leaving the hook stuck in my net.

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

It is uncanny how they can get away from us but, how do they learn? Is it innate or do they copy? How would this talent help them in their natural environment when we aren't dangling baited hooks in the water?

As always, more questions than answers.

Return to “Chub (Leuciscus cephalus)”