Stalking a late summer tench

This forum is for discussing tench.
Duebel
Rainbow Trout

Stalking a late summer tench

Post by Duebel »

Tench! Who doesn't dream of tench?

Friends had caught some tench on the gravel pit recently. The weather was beautiful today and I had a couple of hours at hand this afternoon. Hopes were high!

I had the gravel pit all to myself when I arrived. I walked along the bank, spotted a small pike and some perch. A huge grass carp passed by, as did a couple of asp. An osprey circled above me, a heron got startled, a king fisher landed right in front of me. If I went home now, I'd already have spent a perfect late summer afternoon.
I noticed a tree that had fallen into the lake a long time ago. And there they were. 3 or 4 beautiful tench!

I tackled up my Hardy Richard Walker Carp paired with a DAM Quick 331 and a reverse swan quill.

As the tench weren't feeding at all, I decided to offer them a bunch of maggots on a #12 hook, suspended a foot above the bottom.

The tench moved away, came back half an hour later only to disappear again. I had the feeling, that they never went far, so I decided to just sit there and wait. The tip of my float hadn't moved for two hours. The sky already showed the mesmerising colours of a late summer's evening. Suddenly there was some movement. The float dipped under, lifted a little, only to lay flat on the surface and then slowly but steadily slipped away.

Tench fight hard, don't they! And they're probably one of the most beautiful species.

The only fish I could catch today - a tench of 4 lb 6 oz

Tench - Late summer perfection!

Greetings from Bamberg
Martin

Duckett
Tench

Re: Stalking a late summer tench

Post by Duckett »

That’s a lovely Tench Martin, well done for persevering.

I’ve caught stalked Tench via their bubbles when feeding but never managed to catch one I’ve been watching.

Phil
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

BoltonBullfinch
Arctic Char

Post by BoltonBullfinch »

Beautiful fish Martin.

Thanks
BB
'We fish a lot' Forrest Gump.

Pallenpool
Zander

Post by Pallenpool »

Fantastic!
:Hat:
No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man.

Heraclitus

www.thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk

Duebel
Rainbow Trout

Post by Duebel »

Thank you, gentlemen, for your kind comments!
What a lovely afternoon I've had there. It was definitely the last day of summer. We've had some rain last night and the temperature has dropped below 20°C. It still doesn't feel like autumn yet. Maybe I'll have the chance to catch another tench before it's getting really cold.
Greetings from Bamberg
Martin

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

Duebel wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:31 am Thank you, gentlemen, for your kind comments!
What a lovely afternoon I've had there. It was definitely the last day of summer. We've had some rain last night and the temperature has dropped below 20°C. It still doesn't feel like autumn yet. Maybe I'll have the chance to catch another tench before it's getting really cold.
It may get far too cold around Bamberg Martin but I wouldn’t write off winter Tench completely. There are 2 quite shallow ponds I know were the Tench start feeding again for a while after a warm spell. Several yeas ago I caught this somewhat thin example on Boxing Day! There was ice around the edge of the pond but the few days before Christmas had been unseasonably warm on The Wirral. I was after Roach at the time and Tinca gave me quite a run for my money on 3lb line and an 18 hook!
Phil
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Caneforme
Perch

Post by Caneforme »

Two beautiful fish, well done both.

John :)
This royal throne of kings, this sceptered isle,
This happy breed of men, this little world,
This precious stone set in the silver sea,
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England.

Northern_Nomad
Arctic Char

Post by Northern_Nomad »

Martin,

A lovely account of a day on the water, filled with observations of why it’s good - just to be out there :Thumb:

A lovely fish as well which seemed justly deserved :Hat:

All the best from Wales 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
"We knelt side by side looking at it. I knew it was big, and suddenly it dawned on me it was more than that. It was tremendous!" - Richard Walker

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

Excellent report, pictures and tench Martin :Thumb:

Moley
Brown Trout

Post by Moley »

Now is the best time for tench as they are spawn free and fighting fit.

Also they are harder to catch, more of a challenge!

Mild Winter time can be productive with only January not giving a tench.

Good writing Duebel as it has got Fatty thinking about going out and having a go for some.

As ever,......

Moley
Say aye tae'a pie!

Return to “Tench (Tinca tinca)”