Strikeright Hydroflow Rachet Pawl

A forum to show any of your restored or built traditional fishing reels.
Jeremy.Airey
Minnow

Strikeright Hydroflow Rachet Pawl

Post by Jeremy.Airey »

Hello Chaps

On a whim acquired a Strikeright Hydroflow 3.5 (actual diameter 3.57) inches It's a dinky little fellow and runs very smoothly but somehow lost when unpacking or it never came with the ratchet pawl . I know it is perfectly usable without one but I find it irksome not to have things in as perfect a condition as possible, also my inner child loves that clicky noise .

I would be very grateful if some kind soul could post a picture of the pawl OFF it's retainiing post and let me know the length and max width so I don't have to rely on guess work too much when I try to make a replacement, also managed to destroy the spring strip but no biggie (I hope) to fettle a replacement. Lots of pics of it in situ but I would like to see it in the raw so to speak so I get a proper look at the 'slot' that fits on the retaining post.

Also incuded in the package was a 410 with 2 spare spools and only minor cosmetic damage, took me back 40 odd years or so, a very nice bonus I'd say .

Best Regards
Jeremy

JW1
Grayling

Re: Strikeright Hydroflow Rachet Pawl

Post by JW1 »

I cant find my Hydroflow but the attached photo 1 is from another 3.5".
The next photos are from my Tideflow which is bigger but the ratchets appear to be the same. I made a new post for this one from a 5BA machine screw, the lower land is a turned down 5BA nut soldered in place but super glue would do. The overall length is 4.1mm but this can be adjusted to suit. Hope this helps, let me know if you need anything more specific.

ImageImageImage
JW

Jeremy.Airey
Minnow

Re: Strikeright Hydroflow Rachet Pawl

Post by Jeremy.Airey »

Hi JW1
Thank you for taking the time to give me just the information I need.
I thought it would be a simple job to fabricate a replacement pawl but that kidney shaped slot may prove a little tricky. I gather from a previous post that is a patented solution to changing the ratchets bias.
Now I have the dimensions I should be able to a single slotted version as per non patent style pawls.
Ho hum……..
Regards
Jeremy

Return to “Traditional Reel Building and Restoring”