Chapman The Bengeo

The Chapmans Rods forum.
Lea Dweller
Pike

Re: Chapman The Bengeo

Post by Lea Dweller »

I knew that Chapman's produced a Bengeo, but I had never seen one until now! :Hat:
Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall!
Confucius

Fredline
Tench

Post by Fredline »

Ljm183 wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 2:08 pm
Wanderer wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 1:42 pm BENGEO... that is a new one on me.

Does anyone know anything about the name ?
As with most Chapman rods named after a small Village in Herts. Just north of Hertford. Also named after rivers.
I thought it was named after Ron Chapman's 2 labradors, Benny and George.
If you have no grease with you, and your rings are full of ice, do not cut out the ice with a pen-knife but get your man to put the rings one by one in his mouth, and so to thaw the ice.
John Bickerdyke.

Champ
Chub

Post by Champ »

A great find Ljm.I had not seen that one before or the listing. :Hat:

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

What a lovely find Lee. I’ve never see one of those. I used to know someone who lived in Bengeo!

Phil
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

GameKeeper
Bleak

Post by GameKeeper »

Lovely rod,one I have not seen before !

Greentura
Crucian Carp

Post by Greentura »

Would anyone have the tip tapers of a Bengeo ? As it's stated as being 10' and 1lb test, could it be similar to or the same even as the Peter Stone 'Ledgerstrike' ? I built myself similar construction rod as a two piece 10'10" rod with one of my replica Craftversa tips that i wasnt happy with for the thickest end and had to shorten it to remove the bad bit, a shame to cut it shorter so I built a spliced in whole cane to whole cane butt section, with a short handle, that with hindsight i should have made a few inches later, might still do that. Anyway, it's be interesting to find the Tapers of a real Bengeo if anyone can help

BoltonBullfinch
Arctic Char

Post by BoltonBullfinch »

Greentura wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 9:05 pm Would anyone have the tip tapers of a Bengeo ? As it's stated as being 10' and 1lb test, could it be similar to or the same even as the Peter Stone 'Ledgerstrike' ? I built myself similar construction rod as a two piece 10'10" rod with one of my replica Craftversa tips that i wasnt happy with for the thickest end and had to shorten it to remove the bad bit, a shame to cut it shorter so I built a spliced in whole cane to whole cane butt section, with a short handle, that with hindsight i should have made a few inches later, might still do that. Anyway, it's be interesting to find the Tapers of a real Bengeo if anyone can help
Would John not let you have the tapers, they must be written down somewhere at his place....

Thanks
BB
'We fish a lot' Forrest Gump.

Barbelbonce
Rudd

Post by Barbelbonce »

For the tip taper: I would guess that at the tip ring the dimension would be .095": many of the Chapman top joints for rods of that type used the same blank. I stand to be corrected as I am only making an educated (after a fashion!) guess.
John has said more than once to me that the Chapman "Taper Book" is not really a book, just a collection of jottings (or pages or similar) and is very incomplete and a bit haphazard. This is because it was all pretty informal and tapers were recorded, not for posterity (for the likes of us years after the event) but as a purely workshop record. They also made a large number of rods in very small numbers - ?one-offs as customer requests? - which may never have been written-down and recorded in the "Taper Book".

I always think of "The Beane". A lovely-looking small river rod, partially whole cane (Butt and Middle?). I have only ever seen one example on the 'net and that same one a few times in different places. It came up for auction and I was an under-bidder. It fetched very good money, I seem to remember.

I also remember The Beane featuring on a web-site which, I think had a connection with John Oliff-Cooper, which I can no longer find. It had little essays and listings of rods by all the well-known makers, some of which were for sale. Anyone known where that site has gone?
Or even what it was called? I can't remember, but I can see it in my mind's eye.......
Mike

Rod Fisher
Silver Bream

Post by Rod Fisher »

Barbelbonce wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 2:19 pm I also remember The Beane featuring on a web-site which, I think had a connection with John Oliff-Cooper, which I can no longer find. It had little essays and listings of rods by all the well-known makers, some of which were for sale. Anyone known where that site has gone?
Or even what it was called? I can't remember, but I can see it in my mind's eye.......
Mike
Olliff-Cooper had two; http://www.cane-rods.mistral.co.uk and http://www.interalpha.net, both now defunct. You may be thinking of inthenetuk, which has a Chapman "Beane" on this page.
"Keep out of sight. Trout has no eyebrows and can see up." - Forest and Stream 1904.

“A man may read books and get the best advice possible, but he will profit little by one or the other without practice.” - William Bailey

Barbelbonce
Rudd

Post by Barbelbonce »

Bingo!! "inthenetuk" is the site.
Many thanks indeed, RF. I'm glad to have the site back and available. A fount of information. I believe it has not been updated for a long while?

Anyone here know what happened to the Beane that turned up for a while and then was sold, only to disappear.....?

Mike

Return to “Chapmans Cane Rods”