And another Harvey Torbutt....

The Allcocks Rods forum.
BoltonBullfinch
Arctic Char

And another Harvey Torbutt....

Post by BoltonBullfinch »

I went down to pick up my pair of fiberglass pike rods from Cannock Chase this morning. The guy showed me the rods and we put them back in their tubes and we were just having a chat when I mentioned that I don't use the black stuff, just cane and glass. He picked up a tube out of his garage and said this was his last rod to sell as he doesn't fish any more. He then slid a cane rod out of the tube and I said that's a Harvey Torbutt. He said he had never met anyone who had heard of the rod before so I told him I had one at home. He then asked if I was interested in the rod to which I replied it depends on the price. Both male ferrules were oxidised and were blue, the tip guide has a bit of corrosion but the rest of the rod is in very good nick. I noticed when I got home that both male ferrules had split apart length ways. The female ferrules are fine so theres not much work to get the rod shipshape. He said he wanted 30 quid for the rod, I told him that that was too low a price for a HT but he replied it will save him putting it on ebay. The rod is now in my ownership.
IMG_20211113_153501_resize_30.jpg
IMG_20211113_153419_resize_24.jpg
IMG_20211113_153329_resize_23.jpg
IMG_20211113_153353_resize_67.jpg
Thanks
BB
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'We fish a lot' Forrest Gump.

Catfish.017
Eel

Re: And another Harvey Torbutt....

Post by Catfish.017 »

Brilliant BB a pair of Harvey’s, there’s going to be a lot of envy on here now! I’ve enjoyed using mine over the last few weeks.
PS I forgot to add, right under my nose too. Cannock Chase is just up the road from me!

BoltonBullfinch
Arctic Char

Catfish.017 wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 7:54 pm Brilliant BB a pair of Harvey’s, there’s going to be a lot of envy on here now! I’ve enjoyed using mine over the last few weeks.
PS I forgot to add, right under my nose too. Cannock Chase is just up the road from me!
The guy told me of a good piking place near him (Rugeley) but I have forgotton where he said, think it was a reservoir.

Thanks
BB

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

I think it could be this:- predator-group.co.uk/news.php - - just add the www. before!

BoltonBullfinch
Arctic Char

I need to replace the tip guide on the HT, does anyone know what would be a suitable match for the original red whipping thread.

Thanks
BB

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

Excellent find BB :Hat:

Jeremy Croxall
Zander

Post by Jeremy Croxall »

BoltonBullfinch wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 7:11 pm I need to replace the tip guide on the HT, does anyone know what would be a suitable match for the original red whipping thread.

Thanks
BB
I think I have the correct shade, I'll spool some off and send it to you :Thumb:
"Oh for want of rod and line I'd fish this stream serene, sublime".

BoltonBullfinch
Arctic Char

That would be marvelous Jeremy, thank you.

Thanks
BB

P Hardwick
Minnow

Post by P Hardwick »

Hi I have one of these, not measured it, but would reckon it's about 10' in length, what was the use of these rods, river, Stillwater etc. Regards Paul.

Catfish.017
Eel

Post by Catfish.017 »

P Hardwick wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 10:47 pm Hi I have one of these, not measured it, but would reckon it's about 10' in length, what was the use of these rods, river, Stillwater etc. Regards Paul.
All round rod aimed at young anglers, very versatile and I would have loved one when I was a lad.

Return to “Allcocks Cane Rods”