Lovely surprise

The place you will find all those traditional terminal tackle items.
Troydog
Tench

Lovely surprise

Post by Troydog »

There I was sorting out a bucket of lobworms for a forthcoming trip when who should be walking up the drive but Dave Burr ! But what is more, he was clutching two superb homemade slider floats just for me. They are embossed with Troydog ‘21
Dave reckons they’ll take six swan, so that is perfect for the Wye with some water on.
What a very kind gesture - thank you Dave…..

Trouble is, the fish just don't read the books......
John Harding

Liphook
Barbel

Re: Lovely surprise

Post by Liphook »

They look ideal Tim :Sun: Well made and gifted Dave :Hat: 8g olivette and a couple of droppers perhaps?

Harry H
Rainbow Trout

Post by Harry H »

Very nice looking floats, a lovely gift. :Hat:
There are three things that improve with age: wine, friendship and water sense, and there's no short cut.
Anthony Shepherdson

Catfish.017
Eel

Post by Catfish.017 »

Great floats and an excellent choice of book as backdrop. I lost count of the number of times I borrowed it from Swansea library. I particularly liked the chapter where Dick attempted to dispel the notion that he caught lots of specimen fish on each and every outing. I seem to recall him recounting a visit to a canal where he caught very little and got a boot full of water trying to submerge his keep net!

AllRounder
Brown Trout

Post by AllRounder »

A marvellous gesture - and very nice floats too. Well done both

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

You shouldn't put photo's of my floats on here Tim, it just underlines how awful my painting is :Scared:

Troydog
Tench

Post by Troydog »

Dave, those floats are wonderful and they will catch fish!!
John Harding

Troydog
Tench

Post by Troydog »

I love the roach fishing where he captures several two pounders and then says that there is not an angler alive that could not do the same!!
I remember thinking, when I first read it, that there isn’t an angler alive that could’ve caught those roach - EXCEPT DICK WALKER. …….
John Harding

Catfish.017
Eel

Post by Catfish.017 »

Troydog wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 7:07 pm I love the roach fishing where he captures several two pounders and then says that there is not an angler alive that could not do the same!!
I remember thinking, when I first read it, that there isn’t an angler alive that could’ve caught those roach - EXCEPT DICK WALKER. …….
I'm not sure if it was in that book but I recall Dick extolling the effectiveness of freshwater shrimps as bait for specimen Roach. Before we became anglers my pal and I used to haunt a tiny Spring fed pond that abounded in all manner of aquatic life from bloodworm through ephemera and dragonfly nymphs up to newts and huge leeches. A shallow gravelly rivulet exited the pond and here there was Gammarus aplenty. With the literalness of youth we gathered some fine examples and fully expected to catch big Roach from our two home waters, one never ever produced a Roach of more than a pound; the other didn't hold Roach at all!

Fredline
Tench

Post by Fredline »

Dave Burr wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 6:26 pm You shouldn't put photo's of my floats on here Tim, it just underlines how awful my painting is :Scared:
They are lovely floats Dave.
Don't use paint but use black whipping to finish off after the main tip colour. A perfect straight edge every time. 10 turns is normally enough.
If you have no grease with you, and your rings are full of ice, do not cut out the ice with a pen-knife but get your man to put the rings one by one in his mouth, and so to thaw the ice.
John Bickerdyke.

Return to “Traditional Terminal Tackle”