British freshwater Fish by the Rev Houghton

Discuss all your fishing books & magazines here.
ReelMaker
Brown Trout

Re: British freshwater Fish by the Rev Houghton

Post by ReelMaker »

Good evening friends,now that I’m in a care home,my house is being cleared and sold at some point.On eBay my daughter has got two 1st editions that she is selling for me ,I was giving these 2 books that are very good condition and are well worth the £470 that she is after.The paper is excellent and any one looking for the best would be a collection of 1st edition would be pleased.Please give your opinion.thank you Terry Reelmaker.

BoltonBullfinch
Arctic Char

Post by BoltonBullfinch »

I just ordered a modern (1981) copy of this book a few minutes ago for a tenner and free postage. There were three old versions available, the cheapest being 399 quid.

Thanks
BB
'We fish a lot' Forrest Gump.

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

Look at Abe books for prices.

BoltonBullfinch
Arctic Char

BoltonBullfinch wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 8:38 pm I just ordered a modern (1981) copy of this book a few minutes ago for a tenner and free postage. There were three old versions available, the cheapest being 399 quid.

Thanks
BB
The book arrived today, and there are 20 pages missing, all illustrations. It's going back....

Thanks
BB

BoltonBullfinch
Arctic Char

BoltonBullfinch wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 6:34 pm
BoltonBullfinch wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 8:38 pm I just ordered a modern (1981) copy of this book a few minutes ago for a tenner and free postage. There were three old versions available, the cheapest being 399 quid.

Thanks
BB
The book arrived today, and there are 20 pages missing, all illustrations. It's going back....

Thanks
BB
The book seller has refunded my tenner and doesn't want the book back. Why would someone butcher a beautiful book.....

Thanks
BB

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

Probably because they may fob off the paintings as originals - they sell at £60 upwards dependant upon the species. So 20 X even £10 = a lot of money!

Many books with hand painted/coloured plates are worth more than the book intact - birds - animals - flowers - butterflies - insects - etc!

BoltonBullfinch
Arctic Char

Olly wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 8:49 pm Probably because they may fob off the paintings as originals - they sell at £60 upwards dependant upon the species. So 20 X even £10 = a lot of money!

Many books with hand painted/coloured plates are worth more than the book intact - birds - animals - flowers - butterflies - insects - etc!
Some people must have no souls.

Thanks
BB

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

You're not alone in thinking that unfortunately BB! I've also fallen foul of the book breakers on a couple of auctions. It's bloody annoying but as Oly points out there are some desperate vandals out there :doh:

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

The bottom line is they are selling a book - which may require expensive restoration - up to £500 or more to get it back to - A BOOK.

The extracted pages, usually the illustrations, can and do with certain subjects fetch far more when sold than the restoration costs!

This book has 40 hand coloured fish illustrations at £10 each = £400 if all were sold. But some are more wanted than others so I have seen them at £60 each for game fish, salmon and trout, etc.

Oh! And it's Olly not Olay or Oily!! :Chuckle: Ta!

MarkG
Grayling

Post by MarkG »

You often find the Victorians did this, taking illustrations out and framing them. I am a big fan of Archibald Thornburn, a Victorian bird artist and one of the best; his book illustration often end up as framed paintings. To a point, I can understand it, a book can just stay in a book cupboard and collect dust but if displayed on a wall, they can forever be admired.

Return to “Fishing Books and Magazines”