Books for Christmas

Discuss all your fishing books & magazines here.
Moley
Brown Trout

Re: Books for Christmas

Post by Moley »

Dear All

Wood Pool by BB has landed up in Mole paws awaiting to be consumed when the Festering Season comes to an end and normal service is resumed.

Looking forward to this one as it seems, so far, to be a very personal work. The book is from the Medlar stable and completes all of the fishing works by BB.

Not bad for twenty odd pounds as the original work can change hands for silly money.....ah the joys of collecting.

As ever,....

Moley
Say aye tae'a pie!

Catfish.017
Eel

Post by Catfish.017 »

Moley wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 8:29 am Dear All

Wood Pool by BB has landed up in Mole paws awaiting to be consumed when the Festering Season comes to an end and normal service is resumed.

Looking forward to this one as it seems, so far, to be a very personal work. The book is from the Medlar stable and completes all of the fishing works by BB.

Not bad for twenty odd pounds as the original work can change hands for silly money.....ah the joys of collecting.

As ever,....

Moley
A good read this one Moley. I had the Medlar edition too.

Tengisgol
Barbel

Post by Tengisgol »

Carl Hier wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 5:10 pm Im sure I’m not the only one to get some reading material for Christmas but thought I’d share the assortment I received this year.
No doubt they’re known to everyone on this forum, but nevertheless, they’re very welcome additions to the Piscatorial bookcase.
D0AA3132-27A6-4DEA-AD62-A04228DF8F40.jpeg
The Master Angler by John Bailey…it won’t go down as literary genius but this brings back lots of memories of Bredwardine and our trips in the nineties. I have just dug the book out for the first time in many years.

Page 89 has a few photos from one of my first ever visits to Bredwardine and you can just make out my fluted elder pith float silhouette. I met Rob Olsen that weekend for the first time (p84/85) and we spent many happy weekends there, with the likes of Tim Pryke (p82/83), before it became really well known. In those days it seemed wild and undiscovered. We’d be left in the bar to fend for ourselves till whatever time we wished and were hungry enough still to go after ‘barbel before breakfast’. In fact I can see that Rob was the book illustrator and you can see his style in the centrepin and Wizard on p86.

The book was published in 1997 and that weekend began a thread in my life that took me, and a bunch of crazy people, off on the first of our adventures to Mongolia that same year. Oh, that’s just brought it all back - sorry to go on!
Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

PeteD
Rudd

Post by PeteD »

Having been given As I Cast Out for my birthday a couple of weeks ago and being half way through this excellent book I was more than happy to open my pressies on Christmas Day and find another John Langridge book, Lizarralde. Also under the tree was the Orwell classic with an angling theme, Coming Up for Air, which I have never read. That's my reading sorted for the next few weeks.

Carl Hier
Roach

Post by Carl Hier »

Tengisgol wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 9:03 am
Carl Hier wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 5:10 pm Im sure I’m not the only one to get some reading material for Christmas but thought I’d share the assortment I received this year.
No doubt they’re known to everyone on this forum, but nevertheless, they’re very welcome additions to the Piscatorial bookcase.
D0AA3132-27A6-4DEA-AD62-A04228DF8F40.jpeg
The Master Angler by John Bailey…it won’t go down as literary genius but this brings back lots of memories of Bredwardine and our trips in the nineties. I have just dug the book out for the first time in many years.

Page 89 has a few photos from one of my first ever visits to Bredwardine and you can just make out my fluted elder pith float silhouette. I met Rob Olsen that weekend for the first time (p84/85) and we spent many happy weekends there, with the likes of Tim Pryke (p82/83), before it became really well known. In those days it seemed wild and undiscovered. We’d be left in the bar to fend for ourselves till whatever time we wished and were hungry enough still to go after ‘barbel before breakfast’. In fact I can see that Rob was the book illustrator and you can see his style in the centrepin and Wizard on p86.

The book was published in 1997 and that weekend began a thread in my life that took me, and a bunch of crazy people, off on the first of our adventures to Mongolia that same year. Oh, that’s just brought it all back - sorry to go on!
Thanks for sharing Tengisgol. No need to apologise. For someone who can only ‘look in from the outside’, those days sound very special. Your memories will help raise a smile as I look through the book.
They sound like great times. I have several John Bailey books going back many years.
Also happy to say I have Rob Olsen’s Tom’s Book. His illustrations are always a first-class supplement to any text.
Carl
It's not just about the fish, if waters are calm or rough, even if the net stays dry, just being there's enough.

Carl Hier
Roach

Post by Carl Hier »

PeteD wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 11:27 am Having been given As I Cast Out for my birthday a couple of weeks ago and being half way through this excellent book I was more than happy to open my pressies on Christmas Day and find another John Langridge book, Lizarralde. Also under the tree was the Orwell classic with an angling theme, Coming Up for Air, which I have never read. That's my reading sorted for the next few weeks.

Thanks for reminding me PeteD, I need to add Coming Up For Air to my (increasingly lengthy) list if desired books.
Birthdays and Christmas’s will be sorted for a very long time at this rate 😀
Carl
It's not just about the fish, if waters are calm or rough, even if the net stays dry, just being there's enough.

Tengisgol
Barbel

Post by Tengisgol »

Oh I adore Lizarralde, something a bit different.
Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

Pallenpool
Zander

Post by Pallenpool »

Here are two titles my wife managed to wrap and surreptitiously hide away before one could say ‘boo’ to the geese. I have read snippets of the ‘Soaring Life of the Lark’ already and it’s beautifully written and worked. Profumo’s ‘The Lightning Thread’ promises to be an exceptional read also.

So there in a blink of an eye are (possibly) two more for the list. When and where will it end? With hope not for a while and on an exceptionally lengthy bookshelf.

No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man.

Heraclitus

www.thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk

Carl Hier
Roach

Post by Carl Hier »

[/quote]

Here are two titles my wife managed to wrap and surreptitiously hide away before one could say ‘boo’ to the geese. I have read snippets of the ‘Soaring Life of the Lark’ already and it’s beautifully written and worked. Profumo’s ‘The Lightning Thread’ promises to be an exceptional read also.

So there in a blink of an eye are (possibly) two more for the list. When and where will it end? With hope not for a while and on an exceptionally lengthy bookshelf.

[/quote]

Excellent Peter. Dare I say I was not familiar with The Lightning Thread.
Having just read a summary of it, I’m wondering how it had escaped my attention.
You are quite correct, the ‘wanted’ list of fishing / nature writing grows yet again.
A ‘wanted’ book list I believe has the same attraction as a list of prospective venues to fish with friends, a large portion of the joy lies in the anticipation, and the almost constant revisiting and up-dating of the list 🤣🤣
Carl

Carl Hier
Roach

Post by Carl Hier »

Would also say, I have The Running Hare and Still Water by John Lewis-Stempel.
Thoroughly enjoyed them both.
He can certainly ‘paint a picture’ with words that put you either ‘in the field’, ‘aside the pond’ or even in the water itself in some cases.

Return to “Fishing Books and Magazines”