Hampshire Avon Roach Fishing

Watched a good fishing film lately, why not talk about it in here.
Lea Dweller
Pike

Re: hampshire avon roach fishing

Post by Lea Dweller »

I have not read the book, but having watched the film with Trevor Harrop fishing for and talking about Roach, you have to admire his enthusiasm. What he and Budgie Price (and others) have done, has been done to boost the chances of survival of the species that they love. I cannot comment on the the book, but they have worked very hard and must be congratulated! :Hat:
Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall!
Confucius

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

Agreed Ted. Every little bit helps in my opinion but unfortunately most anglers are apathetic

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

It was not just "stocking" but creating a viable 'roach fish farm' exclusively for the remnants of the Avon roach stocks. Took some time but by luck, effort or judgement it succeeded. Much was down to donations of time, ponds, and general effort! The EA were there for advice - and legislation.
""An Avon roach (and a visit to the Avon Roach Project)"" on the Forum is worth a read.

Mentioned above by Ally were the areas that used to produce big roach - most of which I have fished over the years from the late 60's. They disappeared eventually from most, Longford, Somerley and most sections between and lower down.

One section I and others regularly caught from in the early 70's Winkton, resulted in a 3lber for a TFF member from the same, if not almost the same, swim!

Tengisgol
Barbel

Post by Tengisgol »

Olly wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 4:30 pm It was not just "stocking" but creating a viable 'roach fish farm' exclusively for the remnants of the Avon roach stocks. Took some time but by luck, effort or judgement it succeeded. Much was down to donations of time, ponds, and general effort! The EA were there for advice - and legislation.
""An Avon roach (and a visit to the Avon Roach Project)"" on the Forum is worth a read.
Here is the link:

http://www.traditionalfisherman.com/vie ... 04#p407604
Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

Mark
Head Bailiff

Re: Hampshire Avon Roach fiFshing

Post by Mark »

I watched the film yesterday, very nice.
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Barbelbonce
Rudd

Post by Barbelbonce »

And how lucky are we here?: the newest member, since 16.02 today, is none other than Trevor Harrop.
If you're looking, Trevor, welcome aboard! I suspect that we have all closely followed your and Budgie's fantastic operation over the many years of its growing success and wish you all the very best for the Barbel project.
And I loved your fillum here!
Welcome, again!
Mike

Tengisgol
Barbel

Post by Tengisgol »

Welcome Trevor!
:Hat:
Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

Troydog
Tench

Re: Hampshire Avon Roach Fishing

Post by Troydog »

Welcome Trevor and thank you for all your work on roach. As you say, a passion for roach is almost unexplainable. The species continues to confound, confuse and fascinate many of us.
On the Herefordshire Wye in September and October I fished my fifteen foot Acolyte with a Purist pin in more than a dozen swims on some two miles radius of the city. I was using hemp, tare and corn and I caught one or more, usually a bag (12) of roach in every single swim.
Then in November some serious matches took place including a three day festival. Heavy bags of roach were caught and there were many 80 to 100 pounds plus weights (inc chub, dace, perch and so on) caught up and down the river.
As usual at this ime of year I switch to worm, maggot, caster and flake in pursuit of winter roach.
In those same dozen or so swims, I have not caught one single Redfin in November or December, and nor have most of the locals either.
This mass, thousands of roach, must still be in the river, but where are they?……answers on a postcard please….
Trouble is, the fish just don't read the books......
John Harding

Olly
Wild Carp

Re: Hampshire Avon Roach Fishing

Post by Olly »

Many thanks for bringing back roach to catch. :tea:

Trevor Harrop
Stickleback

Post by Trevor Harrop »

Tonytoned wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 4:34 pm Did anyone notice the Angling Times Kingfisher Guild Badge on the side of the gentleman's hat in the wheel chair!

I’ve spoken with Budgie about the kingfisher badge on his hat, which was also mentioned in the comments about the recent film and I wish it were a little more interesting, but the badge was purchased by his PA in a silly attempt at breaking a hex he has about real kingfishers.
Whenever he saw one on the river bank, he is convinced it brought him bad luck. I must admit to not being able to remember him having a good fishing day after a sighting.
He would also tightly close his eyes and drop his head if he heard one to avoid eye contact.
Now he is equally convinced that the badge has removed the curse.
We all know that much of our confidence regarding our fishing starts in our head.

Return to “Fishing Films”