Carp Fishing Ritchard Walker.

Discuss all your fishing books & magazines here.
Mr B
Arctic Char

Carp Fishing Ritchard Walker.

Post by Mr B »

Took delivery of my new old book... well booklet really... cant wait to read it... I probably paid over the odds for it but wanted it anyway... saying that.. the price of a set meal for one in my local Chinese.... so
A bargain and much better for me!

Mr B
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The close season is an important and interesting time for the Angler who set out to catch big fish. It is a timely opportunity for him to make new tackle or renovate old. There are no end of jobs to do, apart from those horrible things called Gardens!

Liphook
Barbel

Re: Carp Fishing Ritchard Walker.

Post by Liphook »

I have that booklet. The cover shot still makes me cringe!

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

Well they were bred to eat sort - not wildies!

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

Strange comment Olly - what do you think 'wildies' were imported for if not eating? They're not native you know!

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

I know that - but there weren't any mirrors - I believe - until they were being selectively bred for food on the continent and then imported to the UK.

I could be wrong though! :Hat:

Mr B
Arctic Char

Post by Mr B »

Yes, very different times.
Dick walker, Fred J and our man Bernard Venables would take a Pike home for the table and would also take a specimen fish to the Taxidermist.
But.... food besides a great book!
Mr B
The close season is an important and interesting time for the Angler who set out to catch big fish. It is a timely opportunity for him to make new tackle or renovate old. There are no end of jobs to do, apart from those horrible things called Gardens!

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

On that I don't disagree!

With Clarrisa in London Zoo it gave many, including me, the chance to see what actually swims in UK waters.

Mr B
Arctic Char

Post by Mr B »

Olly wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 6:46 pm On that I don't disagree!

With Clarrisa in London Zoo it gave many, including me, the chance to see what actually swims in UK waters.
And now...... with Catfish and monster Thames Carp who knows what will turn up!!!!

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

Some carp in the Thames came from Kew Gardens. The lake outside the biggest glasshouse was regularly netted to reduce the enormous head of carp in it.

Many catfish, both European silure and the American bullhead, were dumped into the Thames. Those silure being illegally imported and the American fish via the pet trade - fish outgrowing garden ponds and aquariums.

SussexMan
Bleak

Post by SussexMan »

The booklet (correct me if I'm off-kilter) was a re-print of entire carp chapter in Walker's "Still Water Angling". Those carp on the cover were from Woldale.

Return to “Fishing Books and Magazines”