Gillett Rods

The Other Traditional Rods forum.
2wood
Minnow

Gillett Rods

Post by 2wood »

I am the happy owner of a 12 foot J. Gillett Thames Trout Rod. I am fairly sure the bottom 2 sections are cane and the top sections are greenheart.
It dates from ca. 1880 to 1900. It is truly beautiful and comes with a cane tube to hold the tip tops and, if you have an appropriate fishing net, you can screw it into this tube. Have any of you seen the like? I am attaching pictures. You can find and download a pdf of a book that has an advertisement for the Gillett Tackle Company from Google books - "Fishing Tackle, Its Materials and Manufacture" by J.H. Keene. Lots oif other interesting stuff in this 1886 book.
Enjoy. I'll be uploading pictures of my other Gillett rod and reels.
Gillett 12 _1x.jpg
Gillett 12 _2x.jpg
Gillett 12 _3.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by 2wood on Fri Jan 28, 2022 3:56 am, edited 4 times in total.

2wood
Minnow

Re: Gillett Rods

Post by 2wood »

This is a 10 footGillett. While on the other rod, I polished the metal because of the uneven stain, this rod I left as is since the patina was so even.
I think this rod is older; the tips are not agatine and it says Gillett, not Gillett and Son and Son. According to an article in the March 1890 Fishing Gazette, the firm moved to 40 Fetters Lane in 1877 and the elder Gilett died in 1887. Same as the 12 foot rod, with a tip case that doubles as a net handle
I have continued to research Gillett. The attached ad implies it was 200 years old in 1895, although other ads claim 100 years - more believable. One of the newspaper articles speaks of a Man versus Rod competition.
Gillett 10 ft _2.jpg
Gillett 10 ft _1x.jpg
1895 Gillerre Ad.png
s-l1600 (6).jpg
s-l1600 (5).jpg
s-l1600 (4).jpg
s-l1600 (3).jpg
s-l1600 (2).jpg
s-l1600 (1).jpg
s-l1600 (0).jpg
Please also see my post on Gillett Reels.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by 2wood on Tue Apr 04, 2023 5:02 am, edited 4 times in total.

AntiqueAngler
Gudgeon

Post by AntiqueAngler »

Interested to see your Gillett rod,looking at sheet cork handle and rosewood stoppers indicates a post 1900 rod to me.I own a Croiswell & Cox rod withe the most exquisite turned brass stoppers and drop rings and original linen bag and brass spear.this can be dated between 1870 and 1880 when the partnership was dissolved,condition is unbelievable for a geenheart rod of such age.I love Victorian tackle having collected several bits and pieces it is none too easy to find.
Cheers,
steve

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

John Gillett
1865 - 1876 trading from 115 Fetter Lane
1877 - 1906 - "" - - - - "" - 40 Fetter Lane.

Mr B
Arctic Char

Post by Mr B »

What a lovely old rod!
Love the butt cap.
Fetter lane would have been very different then but still a busy road. A 4 I think.
Mr B
The close season is an important and interesting time for the Angler who set out to catch big fish. It is a timely opportunity for him to make new tackle or renovate old. There are no end of jobs to do, apart from those horrible things called Gardens!

Tonkin Wand
Grayling

Post by Tonkin Wand »

I hold a reel and a rod from these "Gillett" stables. Research some while ago gave a John and a James at Work in Fetter Lane at the periods stated. John died in 1896. The butt cap shows additional script after the name....ie & Co... or son(s)... these place the items firmly towards the end of the
residence...The advert is typical of spin... 200 years back from 1896 does not equate. However it was often 'embellished ' to gain creedence using the address or location of an established trade and claiming it was "theirs". :tea:

Tonkin Wand
Grayling

Post by Tonkin Wand »

Much as I thought...... John Gillett was listed as a cabinet maker at 116 Fetter Lane in the 1851 census then aged 39 yrs.... At 115 Fetter Lane was Charles Holmes a long established fishing tackle maker( listed from 1817 in Graham Turners Book).... then aged 73 yrs ....He died Nov/Dec 1851 . Will available (Ancestry) but unreadable by me!!! Rebecca Holmes is then listed in business at 116 then Holmes and Co. till 1864....Rebecca was Charles' wife but was 71 yrs old in 1851 however they also had a daughter Rebecca but was a little young to take on the tackle retail.Gillett must have moved next door and continued a successful business. :readnews: Tony

2wood
Minnow

Post by 2wood »

Here's a J Gillett Maker, 45 Fetter Lane, London 7’ 2-piece combined spinning/fly rod in split cane. Green close whipped, low bridge guides with red agate butt/tip liners. 14” sheet cork/brass tube handle, red rubber button. The rod is straight and could make an ideal spinning or stalking rod.
Gillett 7 1.png
Gillett 7 2.png
Gillett 7 3.png

2wood
Minnow

Who Was J.Gillette?

Post by 2wood »

Today, my research found gold!!!! I found two pages of information on J. Gillett of 40 Fetters Lane
Here is a link to the 1890 Volume 20 of the Fishing Gazette -

https://www.google.com/books/edition/Th ... frontcover

wherein on pages 127 and 128 you will find that, e.g., his claim that his family was in the tackle business for 200 years might be true - :Hahaha:
There is much more to be found in this volume. Enjoy

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

Interesting stuff :Hat: I'd like to see the flyline that combination rod throws comfortably!

Return to “Other Traditional Cane Rods”