Casters

This is the place to discuss the fishing baits.
Lea Dweller
Pike

Re: Casters

Post by Lea Dweller »

I cannot be certain about the origins of the term caster, but a very plausible possibility attributes the name to Lancashire dialect? i.e. maggots that have turned to chrysalis have 'cast' hence the name 'casters' This would seem to tie in with what others have already mentioned regarding Benny Ashurst etc. :Hat:
Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall!
Confucius

Tengisgol
Barbel

Post by Tengisgol »

Olly wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 12:11 pm Yep - constant riddling - the boy in the shops job!

That was me all day Saturdays, in between boiling hemp and making tea for the men.
Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

Lea Dweller wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 12:19 pm I cannot be certain about the origins of the term caster, but a very plausible possibility attributes the name to Lancashire dialect? i.e. maggots that have turned to chrysalis have 'cast' hence the name 'casters' This would seem to tie in with what others have already mentioned regarding Benny Ashurst etc. :Hat:
Not strictly relevant, but I honestly wish that I could recall more of the Lancashire dialect my Dad knew. I picked up a bit more as a student in Lancaster.

Phil
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

NiceRoach
Eel

Post by NiceRoach »

Casters?

Ivan Marks in his book recalled how they were different to maggots, along the lines of ' imagine a fish was hungry but not that hungry.'

Instead they fancied a drink of milk instead of something to eat.

:tea:
niceroach

Return to “Traditional Fishing Bait”