The most versatile of all!

This is the place to discuss the fishing baits.
BreadFlake
Perch

The most versatile of all!

Post by BreadFlake »

Bread. Mashed. Liquidised. Punch. Flake. Paste. Crust.

Without fail, you can use bread to catch the majority of coarse fish. Bread flake and mash in a feeder for Roach and Chub. Punch bread for Dace. Legered crust for Carp, Bream, and Tench. Plenty of Barbel are caught while using bread for Chub.

The only fish that seem to be an exception to this are Predators. Don't get me wrong, they have on occasion taken bread, but I put this down to a fluke. Now there is a way around this, unless you're pedantic. We may not be able to catch Pike or Perch on bread, but as we know, you can catch some silvers. Now what do the former two eat? That's right, Silvers.

Of course, there are other baits just as good that predators do take. Baits such as worm and maggots come to mind, but bread holds a special place in my angling.

What are your thoughts?

Catfish.017
Eel

Re: The most versatile of all!

Post by Catfish.017 »

In the last year I've caught two Pike on Bread and also been bitten off twice on the same. I've also in the past, taken several good Perch on Bread. On all these occasions the bait was quite stationary. The biggest Perch taken from the White Springs complex in Wales, a near five pounder, was caught by a Carp angler using a popped up White boilie!
My only float caught Barbel from the Wye at Letton Court, took a tiny piece of flake on a 14 as I tried to rescue a blank by catching one of the tiddlers that were rising in the tail of a streamy run. The fish was around seven pounds and put a severe bend in my Octofloat.

Tench Dreamer
Crucian Carp

Post by Tench Dreamer »

Bread is the best ...i forget it too much. I guess all the Angling industry efforts to persuade us effects me to and i spend too much on bait..Its ingreiates are attractive to fish as much as anything else.. funny how the brainwashing works.

BreadFlake
Perch

Post by BreadFlake »

Tench Dreamer wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 9:44 pm Bread is the best ...i forget it too much. I guess all the Angling industry efforts to persuade us effects me to and i spend too much on bait..Its ingreiates are attractive to fish as much as anything else.. funny how the brainwashing works.
I wholeheartedly agree, most new bait and tackle is designed to catch the angler more than the fish. All you need is some maggots or a loaf of bread to have a wonderful day.

Return to “Traditional Fishing Bait”