River Don Grayling

This forum belongs to the other rivers.
BreadFlake
Perch

River Don Grayling

Post by BreadFlake »

I'd like to make this year, a year of firsts. To start, I'd love to catch my first Grayling. I've done a fair amount of reading and with that I'm choosing to trot using red maggot with a can of corn to maybe pick out some of the larger ladies.

I've chosen to fish in Sheffield city centre as it's easy for me to get the train. I'm just not sure of access points on the river in the city centre. Could anyone point me the right way with a street name that I can look up on google maps?

Also, if anybody would be up for a session, I'd be happy to arrange a day.

Cat
Chub

Re: River Don Grayling

Post by Cat »

Hi, you need to be careful there...a good friend of mine fishes in central Sheffield on occasion and seems to get nothing but proper hassle. However, I'm pretty certain there's at least one chap on here, who I can't put a name to has experience of fishing the Don in Sheffield, and would be able to point you in the right direction. The other alternative, depending on where you're coming from is a ticket on the Derwent around Matlock...with good grayling fishing, Regards Cat

BreadFlake
Perch

Post by BreadFlake »

Cat wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 2:28 pm Hi, you need to be careful there...a good friend of mine fishes in central Sheffield on occasion and seems to get nothing but proper hassle. However, I'm pretty certain there's at least one chap on here, who I can't put a name to has experience of fishing the Don in Sheffield, and would be able to point you in the right direction. The other alternative, depending on where you're coming from is a ticket on the Derwent around Matlock...with good grayling fishing, Regards Cat
Thanks for your concern, I appreciate it.

I have an inkling a few members on here have fished it so fingers crossed they come across this thread.

I'm coming from Mexborough (Doncaster) on the train as I don't drive yet so am rather limited on where I fish as tickets can be very expensive.

BoltonBullfinch
Arctic Char

Post by BoltonBullfinch »

Good luck josh, hopefully your little package arrives before your trip to Sheffield. I'm after my first grayling this Friday, I'm going accros to Pool to fish the Wharfe.

Thanks
BB
'We fish a lot' Forrest Gump.

BreadFlake
Perch

Post by BreadFlake »

BoltonBullfinch wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 4:21 pm Good luck josh, hopefully your little package arrives before your trip to Sheffield. I'm after my first grayling this Friday, I'm going accros to Pool to fish the Wharfe.

Thanks
BB
Thanks BB.

I already have a trip planned elsewhere this week so it won't be until next week at the earliest. That should give the postie plenty of time. :Hat:

Let us know how you get on, fingers crosses you catch your first Lady of the Stream

Wallyboy Rob
Chub
Location: On the Wally as often as possible ( Portsmouth area)

Post by Wallyboy Rob »

A pal of mine is originally from Mexborough and I'm pretty sure he said he's had Grayling from the Dearne Breadflake. I've just found an article about 500 Grayling being released at Bretton hall in 2006 to boost stocks so you may not need to travel that far

https://www.barnsleychronicle.com/artic ... rs-ecology
going with the flow - You gotta luv them gonks

"There's no way you're going to get a quote from us to use on your book cover" Metropolitan Police spokesperson
from the back cover of Wall and piece - Banksy

BreadFlake
Perch

Post by BreadFlake »

Wallyboy Rob wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 4:52 pm A pal of mine is originally from Mexborough and I'm pretty sure he said he's had Grayling from the Dearne Breadflake. I've just found an article about 500 Grayling being released at Bretton hall in 2006 to boost stocks so you may not need to travel that far

https://www.barnsleychronicle.com/artic ... rs-ecology
That was an interesting read. I know they're in the upper reaches but I'm not sure if they're as prolific as the Don. I may be wrong though.

It's easier to get to Sheffield than Barnsley on the train otherwise I would target the Dearne.

Cat
Chub

Post by Cat »

If you are able to easily catch a train to Whatstandwell Station from Donny, there is a cafe by the bridge called The Family Tree where you may buy a ticket for £5 to fish their short stretch of The Derwent. Excellent Grayling fishing.

BreadFlake
Perch

Post by BreadFlake »

Cat wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 5:44 pm If you are able to easily catch a train to Whatstandwell Station from Donny, there is a cafe by the bridge called The Family Tree where you may buy a ticket for £5 to fish their short stretch of The Derwent. Excellent Grayling fishing.
Thanks Cat, I'll look into it.

Wanderer
Arctic Char

Post by Wanderer »

Hello Breadflake, I've kept quiet until now because I have been interested in the replies.
I can tell you that you can fish the Don, above and below Hillsborough, football stadium.( All methods)
I have seen and have a DVD on fly fishing, right at the side of the stadium.
If you want anymore details, Josh, just send me a PM.

All the best.
"Not all those who Wander are Lost !"

Return to “Other Rivers”