Traditional rods for pike

This forum is for discussing pike.
Riparian
Bleak

Traditional rods for pike

Post by Riparian »

Following on from discussions elsewhere on the forum about what is traditional and what is merely nostalgic, I would be interested to know which cane rods members are using for pike fishing. I have a number of traditional float and ledger rods which I use often but the pike rods I remember from my youth were monstrous things, apparently capable of landing a Blue Shark. I've never handled the Dennis Pye type of rod - is that what traditional pikers are using?
"It is the most delicious form of idling known to me."

Olly
Wild Carp

Re: Traditional rods for pike

Post by Olly »

I use the Hardy LRH 2 - very capable but not for long chucking a big bait. I have a Dennis Pye but it can be too powerful.

Moley
Brown Trout

Post by Moley »

Olly wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 2:11 pm I use the Hardy LRH 2 - very capable but not for long chucking a big bait. I have a Dennis Pye but it can be too powerful.
But remember Dennis Pye was only really interested in pike over 25lb.

It is a fine rod the Chapman's Dennis Pye and used to live bait largish fish, in the hope of a big pike.

The 500 style rod is fine for light baits and medium pike. The B James Carp is good too but remember not to overload the rod. The Avon is fine for small dead baits and surprisingly resilient.

All good stuff.

As ever,....

Moley
Say aye tae'a pie!

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

Plenty of cane spinning rods that will handle double figure pike, and cast a hefty lure if required. And most are not too pokey!
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Riparian
Bleak

Post by Riparian »

Many thanks for the replies. I should have said that I fish small deadbaits at close range on fen drains, so these suggestions will be worth serious consideration. I own a couple of 500s but had never considered using them for pike!

BoltonBullfinch
Arctic Char

Post by BoltonBullfinch »

Might I just suggest the Chapman 550, it has a bit more about it. I wouldn't use my 500 if there were big pike about.

Thanks
BB
'We fish a lot' Forrest Gump.

Riparian
Bleak

Post by Riparian »

Thanks, BB. You're second person to suggest the 550, and I do indeed own one - I simply had not considered using it for pike. It's the best cane rod I possess for landing carp, so why not?

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

It is the casting not the playing that can damage the cane rod. I am used to chucking 1/2 a mackerel on big gravel pits/lakes. I normally used 12ft 3lb t/c glass rods so cane does have severe limitations.

I certainly would not be wanting to play a 20+ on a 500 - a 550 perhaps with a 1.5 t/c - but much prefer an even higher t/c.

The problem in some ways - you never know how big your pike can be! 5lb - 30lb they still take the same bait!

Paul F
Sea Trout

Post by Paul F »

Chapmans Dennis Pye for dead baits & Hardy LRH No2 for wobbling for me, both matched with a large 4" centrepin, more than capable outfits :Thumb:

Mr B
Arctic Char

Post by Mr B »

I have a nice 9ft Dawsons Of Bromley Burley.
I haven't landed a fish on it yet but lost a good one a few weeks ago (got my hook back)
Its a powerful rod and quit stiff but I was surprised by the nice bend it took on before the Pike come off. Only hadnit on for about 5 seconds.
Nice rod to have in your armoury
Mr B
The close season is an important and interesting time for the Angler who set out to catch big fish. It is a timely opportunity for him to make new tackle or renovate old. There are no end of jobs to do, apart from those horrible things called Gardens!

Return to “Pike (Esox lucius)”