Just joined the Traditional Fisherman's Forum, why not pop into this forum and introduce yourself.
Marks7
Bleak

Re: New Member

Post by Marks7 »

Welcome Doug. My brother-in-law lives in BC and I’ve fished for sturgeon on a couple of occasions while visiting, biggest estimated at 250lb.
Great country and great fishing.

Grumpy
Arctic Char

Post by Grumpy »

Welcome to the forum Doug.It has long been on my "bucket list" to fish for the Sturgeon in BC.One of these days I will get there!

Silfield
Brown Trout

Post by Silfield »

Hello and welcome Doug :Hat:
“There is certainly something in angling that tends to produce a serenity of the mind.”
Washington Irving

Lea Dweller
Pike

Post by Lea Dweller »

Enjoy the forum Doug! :Hat:
Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall!
Confucius

Wally Roy
Roach

Post by Wally Roy »

Welcome Doug.

Duebel
Rainbow Trout

Post by Duebel »

Welcome to the TFF, Doug!

Doug Pollard
Stickleback

Post by Doug Pollard »

Hi OldRod

Its hard to determine the weight of these babies, but I think Jen's fish exceeded 250 lb. We have to accept that weight is but one measure of a fish; length and girth are good measures, easily taken, and can give an approximation of weight. There are other factors, of appearance and condition, and fighting behaviour. One of last week's fish, nearly 2m long, made splendid leaps out of the water - not uncommon in summertime, but rare in winter, making for special memories. And you have to take into account the setting. The Fraser River is huge, and emerges from huge mountains of the coast range. Roach and dace would be completely out of proportion here; the sturgeon seems to fit. Anyway, you have been here, you know what I am talking about. You and I must have fish in the same place, at the confluence of the Harrison and Fraser Rivers, a beautiful spot.

GameKeeper
Bleak

Post by GameKeeper »

Welcome to the forum Doug

OldRod
Grayling

Post by OldRod »

Doug Pollard wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 10:00 pm Hi OldRod

Its hard to determine the weight of these babies, but I think Jen's fish exceeded 250 lb. We have to accept that weight is but one measure of a fish; length and girth are good measures, easily taken, and can give an approximation of weight. There are other factors, of appearance and condition, and fighting behaviour. One of last week's fish, nearly 2m long, made splendid leaps out of the water - not uncommon in summertime, but rare in winter, making for special memories. And you have to take into account the setting. The Fraser River is huge, and emerges from huge mountains of the coast range. Roach and dace would be completely out of proportion here; the sturgeon seems to fit. Anyway, you have been here, you know what I am talking about. You and I must have fish in the same place, at the confluence of the Harrison and Fraser Rivers, a beautiful spot.
All very sound observations you make there Doug. I remember that the water from the 2 rivers were completely different in colour. I can't recall which was which, but one was clear and blue-ish, and the other was like chocolate. There must have been heavy rain uo in its catchment. We were fishing from a boat launched from the bank of the Fraser, and moving across the very sharp line between the 2 waters was a bit eerie. Happy days!
At the end of the game, the pawn and the King go back into the same box........

Doug Pollard
Stickleback

Post by Doug Pollard »

Liphook wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 9:32 am Welcome aboard Doug :Hat: Have you read much R Haig Brown?
Hi Liphook,

Sorry for the late reply. Yes I have read a lot of Haig-Brown's material and have quite a few of his books. I had the privilege of having Roderick's son Alan Haig-Brown write a nice forward for my book "Peetz, a reel for all time." And Roderick's two daughters are still busy in BC with conservation issues.

Doug

Return to “New Member Information and Welcome”