Hardy "The No1 FWK Wallis Avon" Pre WWII

The Hardy Rods forum.
Paul F
Sea Trout

Hardy "The No1 FWK Wallis Avon" Pre WWII

Post by Paul F »

I Just wanted to share this information, I may not be 100% correct, I can only go by what I have learnt from other collectors, friends and my collection of Hardy bottom fishing tackle catalogues.

This is my rod 3 piece, 11ft, whole cane butt, split cane middle & tip.
Cork handle, nickel silver ferrules & hardware
Serial No G18127, dates it to 1937.

These rods started production in 1932, that appears to be correct as I have a 1931 Hardy anglers guide, and this range does not appear, I then have the 1st bottom fishing catalogue from 1932, where the rods are detailed.

When I bought it about 5yrs ago, it was in original condition, unfortunately the rings were corroded, so I stripped it down, I was able to clean the rings as they are nickel silver too, the rings were exclusive to Hardy, not a low bell or a high bell, but a bit in between.

I retained the script, as that is important, I think it would be very difficult to fake the hand written script well?

The early rods were named in full " the No1 fwk Wallis avon",
Later 1950's rod, dropped the fwk name.

The early rods appear to be whipped in red, layer in green.

A good give away, that the rod has the original whippings, Hardy double over the thread by about 3 turns at the top of the ring leg, this double layer is obvious.

My personal opinion, which I know is shared by many others, that this is one of the finest Pre-WWII coarse fishing rods Hardy ever made, and must have been something to be indorsed by the great FWK Wallis.

I also have a No3 from 1940, which has whole cane butt & middle, split cane tip, and plain brass fitting, this rod needs a full refurb

My friend Allrounder also has 2 very good examples of the pre WWII Avon rods

Here are some photo's, I have tried to show the whole script.
Last edited by Paul F on Sun Feb 20, 2022 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AntiqueAngler
Gudgeon

Re: Hardy "The No1 FWK Wallis Avon" Pre WWII

Post by AntiqueAngler »

Hi,interested to read your comments,I bought a model last year which has no serial number.It is green whipped,large unlined butt ring marked 'Wallis Avon'.I believe it is a late '50's version.Tried it once for Tench in the summer and put it back in bag,I did not like the action and reverted back to my trusted glass three piece!
Cheers,
Steve

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

Hi Paul, just for comparison mine is rod No G35986 which I think dates it to 1955/6 the writing says F.W.K. Wallis Avon. Same build configuration as yours, whole cane butt with built cane middle and top.
ImageImageImage

Wal.

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

Have to admit to drooling just a little at the sight of those two lovely rods!

Phil
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Jeremy Croxall
Zander

Post by Jeremy Croxall »

I drooled a lot :drool:
"Oh for want of rod and line I'd fish this stream serene, sublime".

StefanDuma
Grayling

Post by StefanDuma »

Hi Paul, it's real conundrum on Wallis rods that I am struggling to understand and comprehend.

As many are aware I am close to finishing my third book and a follow up to Men of Trent. Wallis will consists of a large section, the reels fairly easy, the rods - tough, the terminal tackle even tougher.

So many special orders for rods reels and other items, first with Slater, then Hardy, then Allcock and finally Hardy again.

AllRounder
Brown Trout

Post by AllRounder »

A very informative post Paul and certainly a fascinating subject.

We both know that there are a number of consistent features within those early rods as you have detailed, yet alongside those there are variables that presumably were down to availability of stock, reel bands and end cap buttons for example.

The Hardy bottom fishing catalogues with the wonderful drawings are of course are a great help and give us many clues but were they printed before the rods went into production or afterwards?
In amongst all of this are the factory specials and the many refurbishments that have come along to trip us up.

Many of the answers are now unfortunately lost to history and maybe joining the dots is the best we can do….

Kevin

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

Were the early (pre war) rods all whipped in red. I seem to remember the green whipping was a 1950s thing.

Wal.

AllRounder
Brown Trout

Post by AllRounder »

Wallys-Cast wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 9:37 am Were the early (pre war) rods all whipped in red. I seem to remember the green whipping was a 1950s thing.

Wal.
If I’m honest I’m not entirely sure Wal there was probably some overlap which may have been down to availability and/or stock

My 1933 Early No1 Wallis Avon with original red whipping

By 1935 (so pre-war) Green whipping was being used. My Wallis No2 Allround

A Wallis Avon with a four section rod bag??

One of my favourite rods - An early 1940’s No2 Wallis Avon with a later addition of a whole cane middle section again original green whipping.

Not sure if that helps or confuses :Hat:

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

Thanks Kevin, I must admit it seemed strange to use red only when green was available and used on other rods.

I love that four piece.

Wal.

Return to “Hardy Cane Rods”