An Old Post Card 1904.

This forum belongs to the River Lea.
Mr B
Arctic Char

An Old Post Card 1904.

Post by Mr B »

I couldn't resist this little Post Card.
It looks like Kings Weir at Broxbourne in 1904.
There is what looks like a little boy on the right holding a net. I like to think he has a fishing rod to.
I am not sure what to do with the card. It would be nice to replicate it and post them to my fishing mates.
I think I will put it in a little frame? Not sure yet.

I have always liked the river lee at Broxbourne having caught my personal best Chub there when I was 15 at 5 1/2 lbs. still my best Chub to date, not a big fish by todays standards I know, but still a lovely fish (Cube of Spam with a little stalk of grass in the bend of the hook to hold it on, still my method today)
I was fishing upstream of the weir on what was then (1974)
Kings weir is now a private fishery but being an LAA member there is a stretch down stream that can be fished.
I haven't fished the river there now for years but intend to give it a go next season.
It was getting this card thats putting the wheels into motion... all for £1.99

Mr B
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The close season is an important and interesting time for the Angler who set out to catch big fish. It is a timely opportunity for him to make new tackle or renovate old. There are no end of jobs to do, apart from those horrible things called Gardens!

Harry H
Rainbow Trout

Re: An Old Post Card 1904.

Post by Harry H »

That's a lovely picture Mr B :Hat: I have a Milwards Broxbourne fishing rod dating circ 1930, it was my first restoration project.
There are three things that improve with age: wine, friendship and water sense, and there's no short cut.
Anthony Shepherdson

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

What a wonderful find!

Phil
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Mr B
Arctic Char

Post by Mr B »

Harry H wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 10:02 pm That's a lovely picture Mr B :Hat: I have a Milwards Broxbourne fishing rod dating circ 1930, it was my first restoration project.
What a great name for a rod, They don't name them like that anymore..... saying that, I don't know, I don't take much notice these days on modern tackle.
You should take it out for day on the bank to meet its namesake, depending were you are based of course.
Be great to see a photo of it sometime.

Mr B
The close season is an important and interesting time for the Angler who set out to catch big fish. It is a timely opportunity for him to make new tackle or renovate old. There are no end of jobs to do, apart from those horrible things called Gardens!

Mr B
Arctic Char

Post by Mr B »

Duckett wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 10:53 pm What a wonderful find!

Phil
Yes... I thought so to, worth every penny and I am sure the pleasure it will bring has just begun.

Mr B.

Martin James
Tench

Post by Martin James »

Nice bit of history Mr B, also that chub on a bit a Spam, was a huge fish in those days, you should be proud of its capture.

Phil Arnott
Chub

Post by Phil Arnott »

I have a collection of old postcards showing points along my local River Hull, The Yorkshire Derwent and Hornsea Mere, as well as other areas of interest.

One postcard I never thought I would ever find was one showing a picture of Hempholme Lock and weir but I was wrong. I eventually collected three. The picture below is one I have posted on the site before which amazingly was posted by one of my angling heroes Jim Bazley.

It's wonderful to see how some of your fishing spots looked in the past. Some have changed quite a lot and others have changed very little.

Mr B
Arctic Char

Post by Mr B »

Martin James wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 12:46 pm Nice bit of history Mr B, also that chub on a bit a Spam, was a huge fish in those days, you should be proud of its capture.
It really was a memorable day Martin. My old mate fishing next to me cast right next to were I was fishing under the willows on the opposite bank... he caught two more in quick succession, his best just under 4lbs and a smaller one. All on Spam.
We had a story to tell when after our train and bus ride home. Lovely days.

Mr B

Mr B
Arctic Char

Post by Mr B »

Phil Arnott wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 1:31 pm I have a collection of old postcards showing points along my local River Hull, The Yorkshire Derwent and Hornsea Mere, as well as other areas of interest.

One postcard I never thought I would ever find was one showing a picture of Hempholme Lock and weir but I was wrong. I eventually collected three. The picture below is one I have posted on the site before which amazingly was posted by one of my angling heroes Jim Bazley.

It's wonderful to see how some of your fishing spots looked in the past. Some have changed quite a lot and others have changed very little.

Thats a lovely spot Phill and a lovely card.
You also have a connection... (thats what dose it for me) Jim Bazley..How to fish?
The trouble now is I have just found another old Post card that I have an affinity with... job done, its on its way!
It's these simple things that make the world go round

Mr B

Wally Roy
Roach

Post by Wally Roy »

A nice find.

Return to “River Lea”