Aerialite Slater latch type date.

The J. W. Young and Allcocks Reels forum.
Mr B
Arctic Char

Aerialite Slater latch type date.

Post by Mr B »

I have just got a lovely little reel above...
Really pleased with it and in nice condition.
I have a few of the standard type with the T peace on the front... I do have a soft for them.
What would be a rough date of this reel???
It has a plain back and no wholes for a line guard.
I have just cleaned it up and re greased the ratchet cog and put a little reel oil on the pin..
it spins freely and is ready to go, I will be put to use next season... possibly next week If all goes well.

Mr B
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The close season is an important and interesting time for the Angler who set out to catch big fish. It is a timely opportunity for him to make new tackle or renovate old. There are no end of jobs to do, apart from those horrible things called Gardens!

Nobby
Wild Carp

Re: Aerialite Slater latch type date.

Post by Nobby »

These were made for only a short period. I'm afraid I can't remember exactly when, but scanning through the Allcocks Guides I recall they are only mentioned once, whereas the normal Aerialite was produced for a long period, both before and after, WW2.

In all these years I have managed to acquire just one.

Silfield
Brown Trout

Post by Silfield »

There is a previously sold example on T. Turners site that states that it is rare and produced C1940's
https://www.thomasturner.com/shop/allco ... er-smooth/
No firm dates of production though which is a shame.
“There is certainly something in angling that tends to produce a serenity of the mind.”
Washington Irving

Mr B
Arctic Char

Post by Mr B »

Nobby wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 1:34 pm These were made for only a short period. I'm afraid I can't remember exactly when, but scanning through the Allcocks Guides I recall they are only mentioned once, whereas the normal Aerialite was produced for a long period, both before and after, WW2.

In all these years I have managed to acquire just one.
Thanks Nobby,
I have three of the other type and really like them, two with line guards the other without, slightly different..bo line guard wholes and all bakelite back with no steel plate reinforcing at the foot of the reel seat
This one I have been looking for for a few years now and have got it, and a good one too.
Looking forward to putting it on a suitable rod and giving a go.
Thank you
Mr B
The close season is an important and interesting time for the Angler who set out to catch big fish. It is a timely opportunity for him to make new tackle or renovate old. There are no end of jobs to do, apart from those horrible things called Gardens!

Mr B
Arctic Char

Post by Mr B »

Silfield wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 2:06 pm There is a previously sold example on T. Turners site that states that it is rare and produced C1940's
https://www.thomasturner.com/shop/allco ... er-smooth/
No firm dates of production though which is a shame.
Thats interesting... I do keep my eye on there site from time to time..
I was thinking it was about that time. I like the slater type latch... it runs smoothly and the spool comes off quickly.,,
What a shame these reels-are not made now in England and in Bakelite... I bet they would cost a bomb!
I dont think you would get change out of £100!
Mr B

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

The Slater latch version Aerialite reel is Allcocks No 8926cp. The cp denotes centre pin action. It is shown in the 1938/9 catalogue but not certain of its exact first year of manufacture.

Wal.

Vole
Rainbow Trout

Post by Vole »

A few extra-super-duper ones are threaded for, and fitted wit, an end-float screw. Well worth keeping an eye out for, especially in winter.
"Write drunk, edit sober" - Hemingway.
Hemingway didn't have to worry about accidentally hitting "submit" before he edited.

Vole
Rainbow Trout

Post by Vole »

A few extra-super-duper ones are threaded for, and fitted with, an end-float screw. Well worth keeping an eye out for, especially in winter.
"Write drunk, edit sober" - Hemingway.
Hemingway didn't have to worry about accidentally hitting "submit" before he edited.

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

Yes I saw one on ebay once and wondered if it was a home conversion. Maybe later versions had the adjustable centres and possibly supplied by Youngs or another manufacturer.
Great reels though in any configuration. Even the boys version of the reel is nice.

Wal.

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Wallys-Cast wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 10:20 am The Slater latch version Aerialite reel is Allcocks No 8926cp. The cp denotes centre pin action. It is shown in the 1938/9 catalogue but not certain of its exact first year of manufacture.

Wal.

That's what I thought I remembered Wal...I just wasn't sure.

Return to “J. W. Young and Allcocks Reels”