Milward "Matchcraft" 10ft 9in.

The Milwards Rods forum.
Harry H
Rainbow Trout

Re: Milward "Matchcraft" 10ft 9in.

Post by Harry H »

AshbyCut wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 7:12 pm
Harry H wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 6:27 pm There's a 12ft version for sale locally signed by a Don Valentine :Confused: I wonder if he was someone of significance or a previous owner.
I must admit I'd be more inclined to it if it were the shorter version.
Probably a coincidence ... but on a certain auction site there's a Cheffins Auction catalogue from 2003 for sale ... "Modern and Vintage Fly Fishing Tackle. Principally from the collection of Don Valentine of St. Ives."

It shows an obituary of the man himself ... a man after our own hearts, it seems ...

Very interesting AC
Don't see why not I'm not far away from Cambridge where his collection was sold and if he was restoring tackle and was proud
enough of his work to sign it? so not beyond the realms of possibilities.
There are three things that improve with age: wine, friendship and water sense, and there's no short cut.
Anthony Shepherdson

ReelMaker
Brown Trout

Post by ReelMaker »

Good morning fellow friends,The auctions at Cheffins years ago is where I had sold many of my handmade reels.There was always a nice selection of vintage tackle and a lot of interesting accessories related to fishing .Terry.

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

Update on the "Matchcraft" ...

Wallys-Cast ... Gentleman that he is ... has supplied me with new guides to replace the corroded/broken ones on the tip and centre sections. Once again, I am in his debt !!!

The lined tip and butt rings are in good shape ... as are all the ferrule and intermediate whippings ... apart from one on the butt guide which had begun to unravel.

I wanted to keep it's original finish as much as I possibly could ... so when I checked through my 'stock' of threads and silks and found a supply of silk that looked as if it could be almost indistinguishable ... I decided to only replace the guide whippings, using the edges of the old varnish to work to ... and tried it out on the butt guide.

The new whip is the one on the left of the guide ... and it's only had 3 coats pf Chromaseal. Once it's had a few thinned coats of varnish I'm sure that it will look almost as good as new. I was right about the silk ... which is Piper's Silks "Deep Wine 4/20 Fine Twisted ."

I immediately started to remove the other butt guide whipping ... and will continue with the tip and centre sections over the coming days. I'll keep you informed.

"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

The thinking mans method and a perfect match. Well done Mal..

Wal.

Return to “Milwards Cane Rods”