New Member from California, USA

Just joined the Traditional Fisherman's Forum, why not pop into this forum and introduce yourself.
Foakes
Stickleback

New Member from California, USA

Post by Foakes »

Thanks for approving my application to become a member.

My name is Fred, and my wife and I live in the Sierra Nevada Mountains of California at 4500’.

Have been retired for 7 years.

For 45 years, I have been a fishing reel mechanic as a sideline.

Worked on every type of reel that came across the bench — however, my passion has always been quality spinning reels from the 50’s through the early 80’s.

Particularly D.A.M. Quick.

About 18 months ago, I decided to just specialize in DAM Quick, Penn, ABU/Zebco Cardinals, and Mitchell spinning reels.

This was an easy decision — because of buying out nearly every old tackle/repair shop that closed up in the last 30 years. Have possibly the largest inventory of DQ parts that I know of anywhere in the world. Around 400,000 parts.

Numbered and organized.

Same with Penn, Mitchell, and Cardinals to a lesser extent. Possibly 500,000 parts in the two shops.

Also always have on hand a few hundred DAM Quick reels, maybe 100 Penns, 400-500 Mitchell’s, and 50 or 60 Cardinals.

Specialize in service, repair, and restoration of these spinning reels from the “Golden Age” of spinners when quality materials, craftsmanship, and toughness of equipment were foremost.

I have used a few cane poles/rods — but to be honest, my favorite rods are vintage glass rods such as Fenwick, Wright McGill, Conolon, and others.

I am also a Moderator on the Alan Tani Reel Repair site. We are possibly the largest non-profit fishing tackle repair site in the world. We accept no advertisement, are free of pop-ups — and generally get 2M+ unique hits a month.

One purpose in joining the Traditional Fisherman forum — is to possibly be of help in answering questions and providing 40+ years of experience with quality vintage spinning reels.

However, my main purpose would be to learn some new things and ideas.

I will try to see how to post a few photos of the shops — and will also try to do a donation online this morning to help offset costs associated with running a website of your magnitude.

All the Best,

Fred
“The Official Unauthorized Service & Restoration Center for D.A.M. Quick, Penn, ABU/Zebco Cardinals, and Mitchell Spinning Reels”

Liphook
Barbel

Re: New Member from California, USA

Post by Liphook »

Welcome aboard Fred ! I've spent many an hour on ATs excellent site and I'm sure you'll be a very welcome addition to the huge knowledge pool that is TFF :Hat:

OldRod
Grayling

Post by OldRod »

Welcome Fred. That's quite a CV (resume) you have there, and I hope you find the forum interesting.
I am sure your knowledge will be put to use here. 👍
At the end of the game, the pawn and the King go back into the same box........

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

Welcome to the forum Fred.
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Foakes
Stickleback

Post by Foakes »

Thanks for the warm welcome, Gentlemen!

Best, Fred
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
“The Official Unauthorized Service & Restoration Center for D.A.M. Quick, Penn, ABU/Zebco Cardinals, and Mitchell Spinning Reels”

Wanderer
Arctic Char

Post by Wanderer »

Hello and welcome Fred.
That's a very impressive inventory.
"Not all those who Wander are Lost !"

Cat
Chub

Post by Cat »

Excellent! Welcome.

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

Welcome to the forum, I know there are advocates of the D.A.M. reels on the site that will be intrigued by your collection.

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

Welcome aboard Fred. :Hat: What a superbly organized collection.

Wal.

Wally Roy
Roach

Post by Wally Roy »

Welcome Fred, love your collection and workshop.

Return to “New Member Information and Welcome”