Ferrule question....

The Allcocks Rods forum.
BoltonBullfinch
Arctic Char

Ferrule question....

Post by BoltonBullfinch »

I'm looking to refurb the Harvey Torbett I picked up for 30 quid a few months ago. Both male ferrules had a split lengthways due to corrosion/damp. I'm struggling to find alternative ferrules so I was wondering, if cleaned up, could the splits in the brass ferrules be brazed up, and if so, would they be strong enough.

Thanks
BB
'We fish a lot' Forrest Gump.

Catfish.017
Eel

Re: Ferrule question....

Post by Catfish.017 »

Tricky one that. Could be possible but you would have to create a V shaped recess in the split for there to be some gap to accommodate the braze or maybe silver solder? The strength of the joint isn't really an issue with male ferrules for obvious reasons. I have used rods with split male ferrules quite happily provided they are securely glued.

Hovis
Tench

Post by Hovis »

Hmmmm good question. I'm not an engineer but here's my 2ds worth. Brazing, like welding is reliant on melting (through various means) new material that fuses between the 2 surfaces to be joined. You need some elements of gap between the 2 pieces to ensure a strong bond and flow of material. In the case of a ferrule you'd have to remove additional material to do this to ensure a good joint or open the gap up slightly. It'd be a fraction of an inch that's all. However, given the tolerances of said ferrules they'd need to be remachined to ensure a snug fit. So would it work? Yes with effort, time and skill. Worth it? Probably not. A new set is a more viable option I'd think.
I have laid aside business, and gone a'fishing.

Izaak Walton

EricW
Perch

Post by EricW »

Brazing is not really a gap filling method of joining metal. Brazed joints are generally overlapped, the parent metal is not melted, it is heated to a point where the molten brazing rod can flow onto it and into the surface. It is more like soldering in that respect, although I'm not denying that a gapped joint might be filled by a clever hand, it would not produce the full strength of joint.
These are the Golden Years. Don't waste them.

Here are some of our fishing films that you may enjoy
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrUkLb ... -bz8H_vr7A

Paul F
Sea Trout

Post by Paul F »

Have you asked on the iam looking for section, I am sure some can help with a new set, a photo of the originals will help👍

BoltonBullfinch
Arctic Char

Post by BoltonBullfinch »

I'm not sure what a photo would reveal, they are just a piece of brass tube, it's just the o/d that is the main problem. I'm now wondering if they could be glued back in position and held closed by a clamp until set. I have my doubts.

Thanks
BB
'We fish a lot' Forrest Gump.

Harry H
Rainbow Trout

Post by Harry H »

BoltonBullfinch wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 8:04 pm I'm not sure what a photo would reveal, they are just a piece of brass tube, it's just the o/d that is the main problem. I'm now wondering if they could be glued back in position and held closed by a clamp until set. I have my doubts.

Thanks
BB
I have a few plain brass ferrules, if you can measure the internal measurement of the male and I'll see if I have anything suitable :Hat:
There are three things that improve with age: wine, friendship and water sense, and there's no short cut.
Anthony Shepherdson

Jeremy Croxall
Zander

Post by Jeremy Croxall »

This is not un common on HT's or for that matter other rods.
I had the same issue on an Aspindale recently.
I removed the ferrule re set it with epoxy cleaned the excess adhesive off, greased the end of the ferrule about 5mm up from the bottom, inserted it into the female ferrule 5mm and left it to cure.
Cleaned everything up and polished to fit. Yes you can see the crack in the ferrule but I'm hoping the strong epoxy adhesive will keep everything together. Time will tell but I'm optimistic!
"Oh for want of rod and line I'd fish this stream serene, sublime".

Tonkin Wand
Grayling

Post by Tonkin Wand »

:doh: A bodge will always be a bodge....and I have done lots. A good rod deserves whole some fittings. Be patient and fit a sound item.Glue or solder has worked in the past for me but on rods of no consequence and it always "greats" that it was not a "proper job". You also risk the chance of damaging all efforts in to remove the repaired ferrule..... is it worth it ???? :doh: Tony.

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

There's an old post of mine about a Roach rod I restored. I wanted to keep the split ferrule as the male counter was a brass bound wooden spigot type and it would have been far more difficult to replace than repairing the cracked female. The repair was successful so if the need to keep it original is there, give it a go. :Thumb:

Here's a link to the post, second page in shows the repair. http://www.traditionalfisherman.com/vie ... ule+repair

Wal.

Return to “Allcocks Cane Rods”