Aspindale Avon....Probably

The James Aspindale and Sons Rods forum.
Jeremy Croxall
Zander

Aspindale Avon....Probably

Post by Jeremy Croxall »

Many of you will be aware of my good friend Bob's affinity with Aspindale Brothers Rods, that's the pre 1949 production and prior to the "Brothers" going their separate ways.
Well it does seem to be contagious and I fear I may be developing a similar affliction.
Bob has a rather lovely Aspi Avon with two whole cane sections and a split cane tip which Wal resuscitated following it's acquisition and it is an absolutely delightful piece of cane artistry.
Now, Bob has this uncanny nack of winkling out these rare and wonderful gems and recently liberated another Avon from its resting place.
At least we think it's an Avon....it isn't actually labelled as such but it is identical to Bob's which is inscribed "Avon"
Bob decided he didn't need two so asked me if I would like to take it off his hands....which I did...without hesitation.
So we met in a car park and went for Breakfast.
I set to work on it immediately, a few little repairs to do, rings to fettle etc and the handle to extend. It was stupidly short on this rod, about sixteen inches including the metal work so it really needed to be longer in length.
The tip ring had been replaced at some point with an incorrect version, fortunately I had a clear lined one which matched the butt ring.
The rings cleaned up OK and following a couple of applications of lacquer were whipped back on.
This is a truly lovely rod in the hand, light and nicely balanced and will be put to the test when we next venture out.
Last edited by Jeremy Croxall on Wed Apr 19, 2023 4:57 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"Oh for want of rod and line I'd fish this stream serene, sublime".

Catfish.017
Eel

Re: Aspindale Avon....Probably

Post by Catfish.017 »

Nice looking rod Jeremy. I do like those clear lined rings too. I've got them on my J Pales Avon Deluxe, both originals were cracked but I managed to source replacements ( one from Wal) to keep everything as was.

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

I have an Avon Mk 2 12ft. And it does look very similar. Handle being 20.5 in long. There is a splice in the middle joint of whole cane to whole cane.

I also have 2 x Avon - which are shorter, just 2 sections at 66in making 11ft, and appear to pre-date the 12ft version.

Jeremy Croxall
Zander

Post by Jeremy Croxall »

Olly wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 12:32 pm I have an Avon Mk 2 12ft. And it does look very similar. Handle being 20.5 in long. There is a splice in the middle joint of whole cane to whole cane.

I also have 2 x Avon - which are shorter, just 2 sections at 66in making 11ft, and appear to pre-date the 12ft version.
This rod is 10'6" Olly and I think it pre dates those which have the "Avon" designation.
It matters not really, it's just a rod I like and one I'm sure I'll enjoy using. The history behind these rods though is fascinating isn't it!

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

Right - so this is more like a 10.5ft Wizard than an Aspindale Avon 2 - whole cane-whole-cane-split cane.
And not like the early Avon whole cane butt section - whole cane/spliced split cane tip.
Or the Avon Mk 2 whole cane-whole cane/spliced whole cane-split cane.

The Aspindale writing is similar to later Aspindales.
Last edited by Olly on Fri Apr 08, 2022 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jeremy Croxall
Zander

Post by Jeremy Croxall »

It's identical to Bob's upon which is writ Avon.

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

Well they were an odd bunch! I have 15/16 Aspindales and even those with the same name and details vary - from slightly to huge!

Depends upon what cane, rings, etc they had in stock at the time! Oh and who was working for or with them!

Or even who they were supplying rods to!!

PS: We should have a 'compare Aspindales day' - it would be quite entertaining!

Jeremy Croxall
Zander

Post by Jeremy Croxall »

You show me yours I'll show you mine :Hahaha:

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

I have had a nightmare :Hair out: trying to get photos on here - so it could be sometime - unless you pop down for a few days to fish the Wilts Avon or Dorset Stour - or even the Thames/Kennet! :Hat:

Jeremy Croxall
Zander

Post by Jeremy Croxall »

Now there's an idea! :Thumb:

Return to “Aspindale and Sons Cane Rods”