500 Phoenix

The Chapmans Rods forum.
Delaminated
Bleak

500 Phoenix

Post by Delaminated »

I picked up this Chapman 500 de luxe at a boot fair at Pedham Place Kent, about ten years ago.
It was a bit of a wreck, the rings were a tad rusty and the detachable handle had a kink akin to a donkeys hind leg.
I am embarrassed to record that the stall holder demanded all of £3.00 for the veteran, I paid up without recourse to haggling!
I found a set of rings and straightened the handle and did a quick refurb.
The rod served me well and featured in the capture of a superb 9lb 4oz tench from a water at Larkfield.
It’s now time to spruce up the little 500, so I wonder if any member has a Chapman decal that they could sell to me. The original has long gone, but a replacement to complete the refurb would be the icing on the cake.

Regards Tom.

Ljm183
Rainbow Trout

Re: 500 Phoenix

Post by Ljm183 »

Give John Chapman a call he might send one out to you, he doesn't normally but if you show him photos of the rod he might.

https://www.chapmanblanks.co.uk/

BoltonBullfinch
Arctic Char

Post by BoltonBullfinch »

First off, I'm curious about the thread title, I'm guessing that it's a predictive text typo.
I had a couple of spare Chapman water slide decals but I think I have given them both away, I will double check though.
John only has the script decals now, I don't think there are any gold decals about anymore.
If you do speak to John could you please ask him how my Amwell tip section is coming on.

Thanks
BB
'We fish a lot' Forrest Gump.

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

BoltonBullfinch wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 6:07 am First off, I'm curious about the thread title, I'm guessing that it's a predictive text typo.

Thanks
BB
Greek mythology not your strong point then? :tea:

BoltonBullfinch
Arctic Char

From the ashes and all that nonsense??

Thanks
BB

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

BoltonBullfinch wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 10:32 am From the ashes and all that nonsense??

Thanks
BB
That's a literal meaning but, anything that becomes dilapidated and is given new life can be described thus.

This is a friendly forum - without predictive text - so I question your motive for your comment?

Barbelbonce
Rudd

Post by Barbelbonce »

I have a Gold Chapman decal which I will slide onto my 500 which I am re-doing. That makes it sound nice and simple! It is not.
I have been warned by John Chapman, and others, that these are extrememely fragile, due to ageing, and can almost "crumble" in the process. I had success once a long time ago with a 550 Carp and am nervous about my next effort.
John suggested leaving the backing paper on and using double-sided tape but I think the thickness of the result may be unsightly; this may be made less so by sticking down the very carefully trimmed logo on its backing with the merest smear on the blank of Araldite or similar.
The Gold oval logos are like hens' teeth. I like to use them on rods which wore them originally - the older rods.
Has anyone else tried the adhesive route?
Mike

BoltonBullfinch
Arctic Char

Thank you for your Greek mythology lesson dave, it's especially welcome to someone who could be classed as dilapidated.

Thanks
BB

Return to “Chapmans Cane Rods”