The Chapman Logo is it a typo?

The Chapmans Rods forum.
Fredline
Tench

The Chapman Logo is it a typo?

Post by Fredline »

I was looking at the Chapmans logo on a 500 recently and realised the name does not work, the "n" in Chapman is in fact a "u". What do you think?

If you have no grease with you, and your rings are full of ice, do not cut out the ice with a pen-knife but get your man to put the rings one by one in his mouth, and so to thaw the ice.
John Bickerdyke.

Harry H
Rainbow Trout

Re: The Chapman Logo is it a typo?

Post by Harry H »

Does look a bit odd, if you look at another way it could be Chapiuau
There are three things that improve with age: wine, friendship and water sense, and there's no short cut.
Anthony Shepherdson

Ljm183
Rainbow Trout

Post by Ljm183 »

Loads of early Chapman rods out there with the "Chapmau" transfer

But John or Brian had them changed to "Chapman" at a later date

Heres one of the later ones that i bought for a new build.

Brian told me that they were such a pain to fix to the rods that they used to farm the job out to a local woman to do.

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

Yes it always looked like a spelling mistake to me but I always thought at least it showed some originality.
I have never come across a Chapman without the typo one apart from the script version.

I believe the ones available from John over the last few years are Chapmau versions too.

Wal.

Barbelbonce
Rudd

Post by Barbelbonce »

Don't think it was a typo: this is exactly how I write my ns, particularly when at the end of a word. If you look at the second half of the m its another n - in the style of a u!
The "new" version in Ljm's image: never seen one and the artwork for the transfer looks very modern; not remotely like the originals.
On the originals, you can even see that the artwork was drawn with a dip pen.
Interesting that in a topic detailing a poss Chapman typo (or mis-spelling?), no-one has mentioned "Ledgerstrike". That never changed.....!
Mike

Ljm183
Rainbow Trout

Post by Ljm183 »

Barbelbonce wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 11:14 pm
The "new" version in Ljm's image: never seen one and the artwork for the transfer looks very modern; not remotely like the originals.
The one i posted above was bought from Chapmans. I wanted 1 for the rod in the photo. He gave me six in total telling me that the transfers being Gold Leaf and around 50 years old will be very fragile. Brian told me how to fit them but i still damaged 2 before getting the third one fitted.

Return to “Chapmans Cane Rods”