ESS heavy ledger

The Edgar Sealey & Sons Ltd Rods forum.
EdNash
Rudd

ESS heavy ledger

Post by EdNash »

Hi everyone and in particular Wal! Another rod to love and restore if a bit of a mess. It is 3 piece 9 foot green whipped example . The label is poor but I think it is a heavy ledger. Any advice would be most welcome. Original vendor was a shop on 20a highgate road london. Image

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Re: ESS heavy ledger

Post by Wallys-Cast »

Hi Ed,
I think it would be called the Leger and heavy written underneath. However the name AAL showing in red capitals has me thinking its a different rod.
I seem to remember a similar rod on the forum a few years ago called the Vaal, probably named after the river in South Africa. I can't find it now but I think we agreed it would be the heavy ledger with a name change.

The rod looks like it will come up lovely, the only problem you may have is putting a new shoulder collar on without damaging the octopus transfer.

Mal may have more info, he is the Sealey man.

Hope all goes well with the restoration, dont forget to show the results.
Wal.

EdNash
Rudd

Post by EdNash »

Thanks Wal, what would i do without the knowledge of you lads! Never heard of a Vaal either. It has a bit of delamintaion on the butt section but no problem. I may use up my last spool of jasper if it is an interesting rod. I presume low bells were original.

Tengisgol
Barbel

Post by Tengisgol »

If you can work out for sure what the red lettering is I can probably reproduce the label for you. I have already produced similar and have the template here.
Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

EdNash
Rudd

Post by EdNash »

Tengisgol wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 11:03 am If you can work out for sure what the red lettering is I can probably reproduce the label for you. I have already produced similar and have the template here.
Thanks very much that would look excellent. The cane is lovely and straight.

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

I think Wal is perfectly correct, and you have an early Octopus 'Vaal' which could be used for spinning or sea fishing.

Edgar Sealey rods certainly had a strong link with South Africa in the 50's ... as the 'Late News Flash' in their 1958 leaflet shows :-

((I'm happy to cast 5 yards in my tiddler snatching escapades !!! :shocked: ))

The leaflet also helps to date your rod to at least 1957 or earlier, as I believe it had been dropped from their range before this publication shows their move into solid glass rods for spinning and sea fishing ... and by the 1964 'Edgar Sealey Fishing Equipment Price List' they have expanded their range further into hollow glass spinning and sea rods too.

The only built cane sea and spinning rods by this year are the two Salmex, the Sea Leader, the Sea Sprite, and the Sea Standard.
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

EdNash
Rudd

Post by EdNash »

Thanks very much for the additional information. Just as an aside the rod has a Fields of 20a Highgate road London label on the reverse.
I have just sorted a bit of de-lamination, all looking good.

EdNash
Rudd

Post by EdNash »

AshbyCut wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 8:00 pm I think Wal is perfectly correct, and you have an early Octopus 'Vaal' which could be used for spinning or sea fishing.

Edgar Sealey rods certainly had a strong link with South Africa in the 50's ... as the 'Late News Flash' in their 1958 leaflet shows :-

((I'm happy to cast 5 yards in my tiddler snatching escapades !!! :shocked: ))

The leaflet also helps to date your rod to at least 1957 or earlier, as I believe it had been dropped from their range before this publication shows their move into solid glass rods for spinning and sea fishing ... and by the 1964 'Edgar Sealey Fishing Equipment Price List' they have expanded their range further into hollow glass spinning and sea rods too.

The only built cane sea and spinning rods by this year are the two Salmex, the Sea Leader, the Sea Sprite, and the Sea Standard.
Mr Cut Sir, any idea where I could find a picture of how the label looked, I have done the google thing but no luck. Ed.

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

I'd be tempted to clean up the front of that cork (manicure files are useful for this job, as well as sharpening larger hooks) and just butt your thread up to it rather than use a winding check/collar :Hat:

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

The butt would look like this Edgar Sealey Floatcaster De-Luxe of similar period ... simply add a 'V' to the 'AAL' you already have in place.

"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Return to “Edgar Sealey & Sons Ltd Cane Rods”