ESS heavy ledger

The Edgar Sealey & Sons Ltd Rods forum.
EdNash
Rudd

Re: ESS heavy ledger

Post by EdNash »

Liphook wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 3:25 pm I'd be tempted to clean up the front of that cork (manicure files are useful for this job, as well as sharpening larger hooks) and just butt your thread up to it rather than use a winding check/collar :Hat:
Thanks liphook, I found some on guides n blanks, very reasonable price. I will give it a go but if it doesn't look right I will do as you suggest, thanks.

EdNash
Rudd

Post by EdNash »

AshbyCut wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 4:38 pm The butt would look like this Edgar Sealey Floatcaster De-Luxe of similar period ... simply add a 'V' to the 'AAL' you already have in place.

Thanks. i have managed to master the intricate whipping above the decal!

Tengisgol
Barbel

Post by Tengisgol »

Here is your reproduced label, download and copy to size on a Word document and print to waterslide paper (or message me).

Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

EdNash
Rudd

Post by EdNash »

Tengisgol wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 5:42 pm Here is your reproduced label, download and copy to size on a Word document and print to waterslide paper (or message me).

Fantastic mate thanks very much!

EdNash
Rudd

Post by EdNash »

Phil, here she is, still have to finish off the varnish but looks great.Image

EdNash
Rudd

Post by EdNash »

Wallys-Cast wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 10:30 am Hi Ed,
I think it would be called the Leger and heavy written underneath. However the name AAL showing in red capitals has me thinking its a different rod.
I seem to remember a similar rod on the forum a few years ago called the Vaal, probably named after the river in South Africa. I can't find it now but I think we agreed it would be the heavy ledger with a name change.

The rod looks like it will come up lovely, the only problem you may have is putting a new shoulder collar on without damaging the octopus transfer.

Mal may have more info, he is the Sealey man.

Hope all goes well with the restoration, dont forget to show the results.
Wal.
Wal, I have just set the new transfer. Looks great and very "retro"! I put a new winding check on from Guides and Blanks. Nightmare doing the rings as some were too big for the rod bag, didn't know until after I had completed them. It is a bit heavy duty for me but will go with my collection all done in the green and red twist. Sadly my last lot from USA was more green half way down the spool, so the butt ring looks a bit different but still green and red. Ed.

Tengisgol
Barbel

Post by Tengisgol »

That’s worked a treat!
Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

Old Wulf
Gudgeon

Post by Old Wulf »

AshbyCut wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 8:00 pm I think Wal is perfectly correct, and you have an early Octopus 'Vaal' which could be used for spinning or sea fishing.

Edgar Sealey rods certainly had a strong link with South Africa in the 50's ... as the 'Late News Flash' in their 1958 leaflet shows :-

((I'm happy to cast 5 yards in my tiddler snatching escapades !!! :shocked: ))

The leaflet also helps to date your rod to at least 1957 or earlier, as I believe it had been dropped from their range before this publication shows their move into solid glass rods for spinning and sea fishing ... and by the 1964 'Edgar Sealey Fishing Equipment Price List' they have expanded their range further into hollow glass spinning and sea rods too.

The only built cane sea and spinning rods by this year are the two Salmex, the Sea Leader, the Sea Sprite, and the Sea Standard.
Do we really believe that? A cast of 243 yards using a quarter ounce weight? Surely something is wrong.

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

Old Wulf wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 6:59 amDo we really believe that? A cast of 243 yards using a quarter ounce weight? Surely something is wrong.
Presumably not something they would claim without it appearing in records of the time, Sir.
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Mr B
Arctic Char

Post by Mr B »

I couldn't help but think that that must have been a printing error! That was a big cast with a 1/4 oz weight!
Impossible.
I have tried to find out more but couldn't find anything.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The close season is an important and interesting time for the Angler who set out to catch big fish. It is a timely opportunity for him to make new tackle or renovate old. There are no end of jobs to do, apart from those horrible things called Gardens!

Return to “Edgar Sealey & Sons Ltd Cane Rods”