latest Ambidex

The J. W. Young and Allcocks Reels forum.
Kirpan
Bleak

latest Ambidex

Post by Kirpan »

just found this Ambidex at the boot fair, and am trying to guess the age, it has brass side plates but also has LTD, just a drop of oil and it spins a treat, a quick look inside and it looks to have never been grease just oiled.
the only thing I have found at fault is the brass springy thing behind the spool, it looks like the little hump has so worn that it has snapped off, only allowing the spool to move in one direction [wrong one] without jamming, I presume others have come across the same problem and wondered what they have done to solve the problem, bend it right out of the way or try and put another 2hump2 back in it ?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Re: latest Ambidex

Post by AshbyCut »

Elwyn Attwood's excellent book "J. W. Young & Sons. A Century of the Art of Making Fishing Reels' suggests that the colour of the finish and the brass name plate makes this a No. 1 Type 2 dating to circa 1947 (the Type 3 had an aluminium name plate).
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Kirpan
Bleak

Re: latest Ambidex

Post by Kirpan »

many thanks

Return to “J. W. Young and Allcocks Reels”