Chapmam rod bags

The Chapmans Rods forum.
Harry H
Rainbow Trout

Chapmam rod bags

Post by Harry H »

Can anyone put up a picture of an original 500 rod bag and the pocket sizes. Also sizes of 550,600 & 700.
I tried to look on Chapmans website but seams to be down at the moment.
:Hat:
There are three things that improve with age: wine, friendship and water sense, and there's no short cut.
Anthony Shepherdson

Olly
Wild Carp

Re: Chapmam rod bags

Post by Olly »

I also tried yesterday - seems it may have ended?

I have, I think, an original bag for a 600 - which appears different from 500 one I also have? I have 2x 500 - 3x 550 - 1x 600 - 1x 700 all in rod bags. I will
investigate more! In theory they should be all the same except for width of the two joints - and even that could be the same!

As a result of their age and state some were in - I had some new ones made.

I will let you know the results.

Harry H
Rainbow Trout

Post by Harry H »

Olly wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 4:24 pm I also tried yesterday - seems it may have ended?

I have, I think, an original bag for a 600 - which appears different from 500 one I also have? I have 2x500 - 3x550 - 1x 600 - 1x 700 all in rod bags. I will
investigate more! In theory they should be all the same except for width of the two joints - and even that could be the same!

As a result of their age and state some were in - I had some new ones made.
I had heard that they were like a normal 3 piece rod bag with the short handle pocket in the middle? Also the handles being different lengths would effect the lengths of the sections.?
There are three things that improve with age: wine, friendship and water sense, and there's no short cut.
Anthony Shepherdson

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

My 600 bag is 2 equal sections - with a shorter handle section sewn onto the outside - very strange! I will try and find the others which may be originals.

My newer one have 3 pockets - 2 for the 2 equal sections and the third the length of the handle only - but not in the middle!

Harry H
Rainbow Trout

Post by Harry H »

Olly wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 6:42 pm My 600 bag is 2 equal sections - with a shorter handle section sewn onto the outside - very strange! I will try and find the others which may be originals.

My newer one have 3 pockets - 2 for the 2 equal sections and the third the length of the handle only - but not in the middle!
I've made a few like that, I refer to them as leg of mutton style like the gun cases.
Anthony Shepherdson

Barbelbonce
Rudd

Post by Barbelbonce »

Hi Richard! (Long time...!). Hope this helps:
(I have doubled-up on some images and cannot remove them, unfortunately).

Dimensions: (These are "generous" sizings, fit for heavy cotton twill).

1. For A 10ft Rod of 2 x 4ft Sections And A Detachable Handle – see pics
Overall length, “bottom” to flap FOLD: 130cm
Length of handle compartment: 72cm To longest point of the tapered compartment.
Length of flap from fold to end: 17.50cm
Overall width: 18.50cm
Sew lines: from edge: for handle compartment: 7.00cm
For butt section compartment: 7.00cm
For tip section compartment: 4.50cm
Tie Tapes: to have 25.00cm “free” ends for tying. One pair on flap, one pair at bottom of handle compartment.
Hanging loop (material as tying tape): To have 5.00cm free for hanging.
Reinforcing tape (material as tying tape) at fold of flap: as images.

ImageImageImageImageImage

Harry H
Rainbow Trout

Post by Harry H »

Barbelbonce wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 8:16 pm Hi Richard! (Long time...!). Hope this helps:
(I have doubled-up on some images and cannot remove them, unfortunately).

Dimensions: (These are "generous" sizings, fit for heavy cotton twill).

1. For A 10ft Rod of 2 x 4ft Sections And A Detachable Handle – see pics
Overall length, “bottom” to flap FOLD: 130cm
Length of handle compartment: 72cm To longest point of the tapered compartment.
Length of flap from fold to end: 17.50cm
Overall width: 18.50cm
Sew lines: from edge: for handle compartment: 7.00cm
For butt section compartment: 7.00cm
For tip section compartment: 4.50cm
Tie Tapes: to have 25.00cm “free” ends for tying. One pair on flap, one pair at bottom of handle compartment.
Hanging loop (material as tying tape): To have 5.00cm free for hanging.
Reinforcing tape (material as tying tape) at fold of flap: as images.

ImageImageImageImageImage
Hi Mike
Thanks for the info wasn't so much about how to make the more about the design of the original bags and the lengths of the handles and sections. I believe that the carp 550 had a 28in handle and the 500 had a 24" handle so making the rod sections different as well..
I've heard back from a customer with some measurements for his 550 so hopefully so that's one question answered. :Hat:
Anthony Shepherdson

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

Richard, the only original 500 and 550 bags i have had were simple one compartment sleeves. Possibly the De-Luxe versions had separate sections.

Wal.

Barbelbonce
Rudd

Post by Barbelbonce »

My first (and best) 500 de Luxe was owned from new by an old friend. It was given to me in the original bag - a one-compartment sleeve in heavy, blue denim, labelled! I still have it, although it is now not used. A very tight fit and not at all a "good thing".The bag with the "wine" ties, above is the one for it now. I think that there has been earlier discussion on here about the Chapman use of denim!
I asked John Chapman about this maybe a dozen years ago. John said that there were periods when they made bags out of whatever material his father could get hold of at the time, at the right price. Very often, rods were sent to retailers bagless.

The handle compartment for my 500s are 26" long (handle plus a large acorn stopper), so a bit over-length, but unimportant as it makes no real difference, and for the 550s and 700s the handle compartments are 29" long, allowing for stoppers, the handles being 28".

Harry H
Rainbow Trout

Post by Harry H »

Barbelbonce wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 4:57 pm My first (and best) 500 de Luxe was owned from new by an old friend. It was given to me in the original bag - a one-compartment sleeve in heavy, blue denim, labelled! I still have it, although it is now not used. A very tight fit and not at all a "good thing".The bag with the "wine" ties, above is the one for it now. I think that there has been earlier discussion on here about the Chapman use of denim!
I asked John Chapman about this maybe a dozen years ago. John said that there were periods when they made bags out of whatever material his father could get hold of at the time, at the right price. Very often, rods were sent to retailers bagless.

The handle compartment for my 500s are 26" long (handle plus a large acorn stopper), so a bit over-length, but unimportant as it makes no real difference, and for the 550s and 700s the handle compartments are 29" long, allowing for stoppers, the handles being 28".
Thanks Mike
Anthony Shepherdson

Return to “Chapmans Cane Rods”