Another super book

Discuss all your fishing books & magazines here.
Troydog
Tench

Another super book

Post by Troydog »

One of the pleasures I get from TFF is knowledge of books that I then get to read and enjoy. This one is different - we were mooching round the Builth Wells antique fair on Sunday when Shaz spotted a box of fishing books. I dived in only to find that they were all salmon this and trout that, except the very last one in the pile, entitled Anglers’ Angles. First published in 1961, it is part of the Angling Times series, co-authored by John Burrett and Alan Pearson. They each tackle controversial topics such as hempseed, pollution, taste and smell, cultism, pot - hunting and much more.
Scathing of the prevailing plagiarism of the era, these two forthright piscators offer nothing more than their own heartfelt opinions on all sorts of coarse fishing matters, and they don’t always agree.
It’s a great read…..
Trouble is, the fish just don't read the books......
John Harding

Tengisgol
Barbel

Re: Another super book

Post by Tengisgol »

That sounds like something very different! I was just wondering what a modern version might read like and what topics would be tackled!
Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

Troydog
Tench

Post by Troydog »

Very good point Tengisgol. I think a modern writer may have to tread more carefully, depending upon how much controversy he wanted to muster. The book is only sixty years old, but so much has changed in that time. One author loves the close season and gives a whole list of fishy things we could be doing for three months; then again he would add two more weeks close season at the beginning, and two more at the end! Not sure what Dave Harrell (amongst others) would make of that. The other writer states quite categorically that the close season is of absolutely zero benefit to any fish; he says that it has been concocted by anglers for anglers, and for no other reason.
There is lots more like this…..
John Harding

Old Wulf
Gudgeon

Post by Old Wulf »

Any discussion regarding the close season interests me. As a younger man I would, for all sorts of reasons, have been a firm supporter of a close season.
Now as someone who has passed the autumn of his years and well into the winter I find life is far too short to contemplate any justification for a close season. I want to fish for fish I want to fish for - NOW! - before it's too late.
PS
And I'm prepared to use bolt rigs and other contraptions of the devil.

Troydog
Tench

Post by Troydog »

Like dynamite !!
John Harding

Grumpy
Arctic Char

Post by Grumpy »

I enjoy reading books/articles where the author is not afraid to be controversial.So much written today is the same old,same old trite.
The old "Coarse Fisherman" editorial and letters pages used to have some great debates and arguments.
Re the close season,this has been discussed many times and I am not going to comment on this.

Old Wulf
Gudgeon

Post by Old Wulf »

Troydog wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 6:22 pm Like dynamite !!
I guess nowadays one should be thinking of C4 or Semtex.

Ouse Wanderer
Bleak

Post by Ouse Wanderer »

I'm tickled, Troydog, by the anti close season author complaining that it was "concocted by anglers for anglers". I hope he wasn't waiting for the fish to put forward their own preferred legislation!

Troydog
Tench

Post by Troydog »

Well, reading all those comments and opinions from 60 years ago it really seems like it was an age of innocence. Just what the two learned gentlemen would make of todays delights I cannot imagine. I mean you can get your bivvy fixed up with TV, aircon, and all manner of luxurious bedding. Then, in addition, I have seen batteries of four rods on electronic bite alarms that are linked to your phone - enabling you to wander round the venue, and still get back in time to reel your fish in. That is of course, providing you are using the ‘method’ bolt rigs !!
Naturally, this is not fishing as Venables, Hargreaves or even Walker would have imagined it. But the world changes, and it is changing faster than ever, so who knows what anglers will be doing if there are still lakes and rivers to fish in by the year 2082.
John Harding

Walkerburt
Roach

Post by Walkerburt »

The thought of an electric boat going back and forth in order to groundbait a spot is bad enough, but using said boat to drop a bait on the groundbait is everything that fishing shouldn’t be. Have we now reached a stage where something else can replace your skills (!), and all you have to do is wind another thirty in?

Complete anathema to me, sorry, it’s stronger than that, it disgusts me
The Watcher by the Bridge

Return to “Fishing Books and Magazines”