Another super book

Discuss all your fishing books & magazines here.
Old Wulf
Gudgeon

Re: Another super book

Post by Old Wulf »

Walkerburt wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 10:18 pm The thought of an electric boat going back and forth in order to groundbait a spot is bad enough, but using said boat to drop a bait on the groundbait is everything that fishing shouldn’t be. Have we now reached a stage where something else can replace your skills (!), and all you have to do is wind another thirty in?

Complete anathema to me, sorry, it’s stronger than that, it disgusts me
In many ways I'm with you Walkerburt, I have no wish to ever use a bait boat, it's just not for me. However the use of one does not disgust me because as Troydog as said the world is changing very fast and as far as I can see technology is having a major influence, so why not in bait delivery.
So I find myself thinking as to whether technology will replace skill and watercraft in fishing completely, and my conclusion is that it will make certain aspects easier to apply but will not replace skills built up over years of fishing.
If we take the use of a bait boat in isolation, its' purpose is to deliver bait to your chosen spot. You the angler chooses that area, so how do you decide?
Could it be your skill and experience that determines your choice? (And let's remember very often the chosen spot could otherwise be completely inaccessible.)
In his day Dick Walker was at the forefront of innovation in angling and very often utilised what would then be cutting edge technology. I think that today he would be using what ever has been developed to aid his goal of catching fish but he would still be employing his knowledge of fish and fishing to get the success he would want.
In all I am quite comfortable that new bits of apparatus are being developed to achieve our goal of catching fish. However with one proviso, once caught our quarry is treated with respect and is returned to the water ASAP. For me the development over recent years of products that cause less harm to fish has been a major success - long may our sport continue move forward.

Walkerburt
Roach

Post by Walkerburt »

Let’s be perfectly clear, no-one can honestly claim the skill factor when using a method like that - it’s as easy as driving a car or riding a bike. If we’re so intent on catching fish, the cast will no longer be a skill, and how many inaccessible spots are there, and why do they suddenly become important? How long before a boat actually plays a fish while the angler fiddles with a keyboard?

There are times when I think that some peoples’ desire to catch more/bigger fish becomes a step too far, and this is one of those times - it also seems mightily ironic that it’s being discussed on a traditional fishing forum.
The Watcher by the Bridge

Old Wulf
Gudgeon

Post by Old Wulf »

Walkerburt wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 9:05 pm Let’s be perfectly clear, no-one can honestly claim the skill factor when using a method like that - it’s as easy as driving a car or riding a bike. If we’re so intent on catching fish, the cast will no longer be a skill, and how many inaccessible spots are there, and why do they suddenly become important? How long before a boat actually plays a fish while the angler fiddles with a keyboard?

There are times when I think that some peoples’ desire to catch more/bigger fish becomes a step too far, and this is one of those times - it also seems mightily ironic that it’s being discussed on a traditional fishing forum.
Like I said before, in many ways I agree with you, my instincts are not to use a bait boat or similar contraptions. All I am trying to say (perhaps somewhat poorly) is that in this excellent sport of ours there is room for people to do their own thing and if that includes using somewhat extreme methods (as long as they are legal and not harmful to fish) then so be it. It's not for me, but for some it is.
I share your view that to talk about these things seems somewhat ironic. Perhaps in years to come the developments in tackle and methods over the last 20 to 30 years will be seen as a "traditional" way of fishing.
For me being "traditional" is all about continuing the ethos I have maintained since I was very young i.e. fishing for enjoyment, mustering what little skill and knowledge I have, treating any fish caught with proper reverence and respecting the environment where I fish. The tackle utilised is of secondary importance other than it should be sound - I don't want any lost fish trailing end tackle because of poor tackle choice.

Walkerburt
Roach

Post by Walkerburt »

OK, I think we’re on the same page here, but possibly reading it from different angles..

I’m glad that at 70+ years of age, it’s unlikely that any “progressive” changes will affect me too much, imagine a fishing match that would begin with a Le Mans start of boats! Incidentally, I have just been reading in a magazine that glass fibre rods will soon be making a comeback, I mention it purely because the prices are more than the dreaded c****n fibre in some cases.

Tight lines
Phil

Old Wulf
Gudgeon

Post by Old Wulf »

Walkerburt wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 1:21 pm OK, I think we’re on the same page here, but possibly reading it from different angles..

I’m glad that at 70+ years of age, it’s unlikely that any “progressive” changes will affect me too much, imagine a fishing match that would begin with a Le Mans start of boats! Incidentally, I have just been reading in a magazine that glass fibre rods will soon be making a comeback, I mention it purely because the prices are more than the dreaded c****n fibre in some cases.

Tight lines
Phil
Phil I'm not sure that we are both completely on the same page. But you know it matters not one jot. What does matter is that we both hold fishing close enough to our heart to sometimes go into print about various aspects and that we continue to enjoy getting out there.
Regards
Gary

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

I dare say that 42,000 years ago, which is when the first fish hook was used, there were detractors as some looked down on the cheats that were making it too easy :whistle:

I personally hate bait boats and have laughed out loud at people using them on small pools. However, as arthritis makes life more difficult, I have thought 'do I give up fishing at distance or.....'? I did plan to explore some massive French waters where one uses an inflatable boat and echo sounder. Before anybody bemoans such tactics I have to ask how else can you look for features in several hundred acres?

A bait boat uses similar kit, if you pay the extra for such whistles and bells but, it is not just find a fish and drop a bait on its head. There is skill in reading what a finder shows you and, just because you find a likely spot, it does not guarantee results. Also, if you think that you just 'wind in' a 30lb carp, you have evidently never hooked one.

Fish how you like but a bait boat can save an angler a lot of wasted bait, a self-hooking rig can save deep hooked fish and it's a free country.

Peace and love
xx

Walkerburt
Roach

Post by Walkerburt »

OK guys, three opinions, let’s agree to differ.

Kind Regards
Phil

Shropshire Lad
Perch

Post by Shropshire Lad »

Its Horses for Courses really, anyone who fishes bolt rigs and uses bait boats and fishes long sessions in a bivvy may catch larger fish they might even enjoy their fishing, but for fishing in the old ways akin to Bernard Venables style is for me a more rounded approach and a more spiritual way of angling which I feel many miss out on especially children.

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

Very true SL! I always try to think positively in that it keeps the masses off my preferred waters! Thus it improves the lot for like minded 'real anglers' as I see them - those enjoying a more easy going, even lighthearted, approach to the actual fish catching side of our practice of angling, and who get as much out of the camaraderie, surroundings, wildlife etc
I fullly understand the fascination of carp fishing as I fish for carp, maintain carp oriented waters and rear 'older/local' strains of carp on a small extensive scale to ensure their survival. However I personally do not understand the need for such great technicalities, nor the burning desire to catch loads /the biggest/a named fish etc at almost any cost. Similarly I understand the desire to live under canvas for a while but not the desire to watch a TV whilst doing so....

There are all kinds of anglers for all kinds of niches.

Live and let live is a great maxim :Hat:

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

Walkerburt :Hat: - the Le Mans starting is already here - in the USA. It is an extremely different way of fishing the enormous lakes & reservoirs there!
It seems to be progressing into Europe but at a lesser degree on a few of the enormous waters in France.

See this: - https://www.americanbassanglers.com/Sto ... ewsid=6965
Money and prestige? $$$$s on offer!

When in Rome? - but not for me - I can't swim.

Return to “Fishing Books and Magazines”