Where to start?

This forum is for discussing carp.
BreadFlake
Perch

Re: Where to start?

Post by BreadFlake »

Grumpy wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 11:15 pm The 500 is an Avon rod so may prove to be undergunned if it's a big carp.I would up the line to at least 8lb or 10lb if there are snags.If ledgering a small tube of silver paper as an indicator will be fine.Watch some Chris Yates vids and you will get my drift.
Thanks man, I've had a few mentions of that now so perhaps I should leave the Carp until I get a stronger rod

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

In my humble opinion, if your carp is a low double, a Chapman 500 and 8 or 10lb line should cope depending on the snag situation. I've had plenty of Wye barbel on a 500 and they pull a bit but, as long as your playing technique is rod sensitive you should be okay. However, a heavier cane rod is not difficult to find.

BreadFlake
Perch

Post by BreadFlake »

Dave Burr wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 9:08 am In my humble opinion, if your carp is a low double, a Chapman 500 and 8 or 10lb line should cope depending on the snag situation. I've had plenty of Wye barbel on a 500 and they pull a bit but, as long as your playing technique is rod sensitive you should be okay. However, a heavier cane rod is not difficult to find.
Yeah of course. I wouldn't claim to really have any experience landing a Carp so it will be best to get a stronger rod. I did want to catch my first barbel next season so I might as well purchase one, the only thing is I'm not sure what rod to look out for. It would preferably have to be a low budget rod as I'm saving for a car, do you have any ideas what to keep a look out for?

PershoreHarrier
Rainbow Trout

Post by PershoreHarrier »

With respect gentlemen whilst I have never fished with a Chapmans 500 I have fished regularly with an Allcocks Harvey Torbett which I am told is an equivalent rod. I fish a pool for Crucians that also contains Common and Mirror Carp from a few ounces to just over 20lbs. I was fishing with the Harvey Torbett rod there some years ago with a reel loaded with 4lb line and hooked into three carp in the 8lb to 15lb region. The line was fine but the rod was bent to maximum and I had absolutely no control whatsoever as the fish took off. Two of them reached snags of bushes and trees eventually blowing the barbless hooks and the other at a range of some 40 + yards broke the line in some snags as I clamped down on the spool. I am, on a good day, an average angler at best but thinking 8lb line with a Harvey Torbett rod or similar is going to put a 10lb + Common Carp on the bank in an average water is a lot to expect. Far better to have a balanced outfit I would suggest.

BreadFlake
Perch

Post by BreadFlake »

PershoreHarrier wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 1:01 pm With respect gentlemen whilst I have never fished with a Chapmans 500 I have fished regularly with an Allcocks Harvey Torbett which I am told is an equivalent rod. I fish a pool for Crucians that also contains Common and Mirror Carp from a few ounces to just over 20lbs. I was fishing with the Harvey Torbett rod there some years ago with a reel loaded with 4lb line and hooked into three carp in the 8lb to 15lb region. The line was fine but the rod was bent to maximum and I had absolutely no control whatsoever as the fish took off. Two of them reached snags of bushes and trees eventually blowing the barbless hooks and the other at a range of some 40 + yards broke the line in some snags as I clamped down on the spool. I am, on a good day, an average angler at best but thinking 8lb line with a Harvey Torbett rod or similar is going to put a 10lb + Common Carp on the bank in an average water is a lot to expect. Far better to have a balanced outfit I would suggest.
Yeah I see the error in my plan, I will definitely put a pause on the Carp hunt until I acquire a suitable rod. I shall enjoy the Crucian fishing for now

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

BreadFlake wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 11:19 am
Dave Burr wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 9:08 am In my humble opinion, if your carp is a low double, a Chapman 500 and 8 or 10lb line should cope depending on the snag situation. I've had plenty of Wye barbel on a 500 and they pull a bit but, as long as your playing technique is rod sensitive you should be okay. However, a heavier cane rod is not difficult to find.
Yeah of course. I wouldn't claim to really have any experience landing a Carp so it will be best to get a stronger rod. I did want to catch my first barbel next season so I might as well purchase one, the only thing is I'm not sure what rod to look out for. It would preferably have to be a low budget rod as I'm saving for a car, do you have any ideas what to keep a look out for?
There are lots of rods capable of carp fishing with the Mkiv or Mkiv 'style' rods such as the Chapman 550 being popular. For my own carping, where the fish grow to over 30lbs, I used Hardy LRH 1 rods and never had a problem but, anything with a test curve of about 1.5lbs is more than capable.

Chris Yates used to use a float rod (was it an Octofloat?) for carping and indeed, he landed his 51lb fish on Mkiv Avon. Okay, he only landed it because it beached on the mud is a valid point but, as long as you don't mind your rod developing battle scars...

I used to catch fish up to 15lb on a John Wilson Avon/Quiver with a pin and 4lb line, I wouldn't recommend this set-up but up but it does demonstrate that fish can be landed on modest gear.

Send a pm to LeaDweller or Fredline and see what they have available, they usually have something suitable :Wink:

Happy hunting.

BreadFlake
Perch

Post by BreadFlake »

Dave Burr wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 1:20 pm
BreadFlake wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 11:19 am
There are lots of rods capable of carp fishing with the Mkiv or Mkiv 'style' rods such as the Chapman 550 being popular. For my own carping, where the fish grow to over 30lbs, I used Hardy LRH 1 rods and never had a problem but, anything with a test curve of about 1.5lbs is more than capable.

Chris Yates used to use a float rod (was it an Octofloat?) for carping and indeed, he landed his 51lb fish on Mkiv Avon. Okay, he only landed it because it beached on the mud is a valid point but, as long as you don't mind your rod developing battle scars...

I used to catch fish up to 15lb on a John Wilson Avon/Quiver with a pin and 4lb line, I wouldn't recommend this set-up but up but it does demonstrate that fish can be landed on modest gear.

Send a pm to LeaDweller or Fredline and see what they have available, they usually have something suitable :Wink:

Happy hunting.
Cheers Dave, as soon as I have some spare funds I'll drop them both a message

Barbelseeker
Brown Trout

Post by Barbelseeker »

See PM

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

A Hardy LRH2 will land almost anything, a slight upgrade in strength of the LRH1 so about 2lb t/c.

Mine are for pike, carp and big barbel. All capable of being double figures in weight.

Return to “Carp (Cyprinus carpio)”