UK centrepin paint quality

The J. W. Young and Allcocks Reels forum.
David
Dace

UK centrepin paint quality

Post by David »

Why is it that after using a new centrepin reel a few times the paint starts to wear away. Surely for reels that cost many hundreds of pounds the manufacturers can come up with something better. Or why not leave the reels a natural metal colour ?

MGs
Pike

Re: UK centrepin paint quality

Post by MGs »

It is cheap enough to anodise or powder coat metal, why paint it?
Old car owners never die....they just rust away

Grumpy
Arctic Char

Post by Grumpy »

On what reel is the paint wearing off? I have three modern 'pins, a JW Youngs BJ,Arnold Kingpin and a cheapo Marco Cortesi.The first two are anodised,the Marco is polished s/steel.I am very surprised that a modern ,high quality 'pin would be painted.

David
Dace

Post by David »

Ive a John Wilson Heritage that has not only the writing but the spool finish is thinning down as it's mainly used in trotting. Their Rapidex 11 2450 has the paint wearing thin for the same reason

Grumpy
Arctic Char

Post by Grumpy »

I have just looked at the Youngs website and they state clearly that both your reels are anodised.I am no expert but I believe anodising is a form of coating.If this is so then a degree of wear would be inevitable particularly if the reel has heavy use.It all adds to the character!

David
Dace

Post by David »

I think that there is not much more to say about it now I would just like to thank anyone who replied and we can let it rest there. Thanks

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

David wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 2:02 pm Ive a John Wilson Heritage that has not only the writing but the spool finish is thinning down as it's mainly used in trotting. Their Rapidex 11 2450 has the paint wearing thin for the same reason
Having visited Gary Mills for him to build me a ‘pin, I believe I am correct in saying that “early modern” Youngs reel with “painted” letters and numbers are from before Gary obtained a programmable engraving machine. I can’t explain the wear on the body colour though. I have both an “early modern” Rapidex 2 and a Trudex 2 - both are losing their lettering but neither have lost any body colour. All, to the best of my knowledge, made by Gary.

Phil
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Return to “J. W. Young and Allcocks Reels”