Mr Crabtree goes fishing

Discuss all your fishing books & magazines here.
Homer Simpson
Grayling

Mr Crabtree goes fishing

Post by Homer Simpson »

I managed to buy a copy on Facebook market place last week for £12 :Ok:

I had a copy years ago but some how it disappeared.
I also have mr Crabtree in all waters.

The copy I have is 65 years old, just a few years younger than me!

Interested to read it again, but haven’t attitudes changed?
Those pike trebles look horrible. I noticed the comment about letting the carp live another day, clearly taking them for the pot was usual practice, not surprising,I suppose, as I think rationing had only recently ended.

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Re: Mr Crabtree goes fishing

Post by Dave Burr »

Homer Simpson wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 5:15 pm I managed to buy a copy on Facebook market place last week for £12 :Ok:

Those pike trebles look horrible. I noticed the comment about letting the carp live another day, clearly taking them for the pot was usual practice, not surprising,I suppose, as I think rationing had only recently ended.
Carp and many other large or specimen fish, were taken to be set up or shown off to friends and family before being buried in the garden back in the 'good' old days. No cameras on your phone back then. Mind you, perch were regularly taken home for Patsy top cook. As you said, post rationing and people were always looking to supplement their diet, my grandfather once boiled a trench.... just the once though :Chuckle:

Grumpy
Arctic Char

Post by Grumpy »

Dave Burr wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 5:28 pm
Homer Simpson wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 5:15 pm I managed to buy a copy on Facebook market place last week for £12 :Ok:

Carp and many other large or specimen fish, were taken to be set up or shown off to friends and family before being buried in the garden back in the 'good' old days. No cameras on your phone back then. Mind you, perch were regularly taken home for Patsy top cook. As you said, post rationing and people were always looking to supplement their diet, my grandfather once boiled a trench.... just the once though :Chuckle:
Probably tasted a bit muddy!! :Hahaha: :Hahaha:

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

For a few years I had an Italian chef who was also an angler as a neighbour. I’ve tried several freshwater fish we don’t eat nowadays in the U.K., in France, Germany and the Czech Republic, but he talked me through almost all the fish I know and a few I don’t! He only seemed to consider Bream inedible! I recall him telling me that steamed Tench is very nice but, like Carp, it either needs to be caught in clear water or kept in clear water for a period of time.

Phil
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Return to “Fishing Books and Magazines”