Craftversa - how many were made?

The Milwards Rods forum.
Greentura
Crucian Carp

Craftversa - how many were made?

Post by Greentura »

A simple question if I may. When Milwards made the Craftversa between 1963 and the end of production, including any pre production rods that were sent out to product testers, I read an article by one tester somewhere.

Next question. Did the pre production rods have a serial number or the ‘Craft/Versa’ part of the transfer. The reason I ask is one of the two I recently bought only has the Milwards transfer. It’s a real one, provenance confirmed and it’s even been worked on by a TFF member for its last owner, but is it a pre production ‘test rod’, or a very late one the didn’t bother finishing the legend and transfer on ? The guides and varnish, apart from the tip to last intermediate guide is original.

Last question, and this is for owners of original rods or those who have researched this before, how many Craftversa are there that are known, obviously one of mine is known, the other, which is unrestored with original bag and stoppers, I think may be a new find, and the gentleman I bought it from said it came in a ‘job lot’ in Norfolk and that’s all the information I have. It’s serial number is 95911.

I know a few of you here are not keen on me, personally I don’t care, this is about pure research and if you can’t get over the pettiness and help, it’s gone on too long, I’m over it, and even offered my knowledge on the Chadderton rod question and was ignored.

Aitch
Pike

Re: Craftversa - how many were made?

Post by Aitch »

I think its more to do with lack of knowledge Andy... I certainly have no beef with you... I just have no knowledge of the rods... all I know is what I saw on Passion for angling with BV using one... To be honest they seem a tad Holy Grail- ish along with Avocets and Original Walker Mk IV's

As so few were made (were they...???) There may be a dearth of information... all the best with your search

Aitch
Just one more cast love, and I'll be on me way home

Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but pictures and memories

Greentura
Crucian Carp

Post by Greentura »

Aitch wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 5:34 pm I think its more to do with lack of knowledge Andy... I certainly have no beef with you... I just have no knowledge of the rods... all I know is what I saw on Passion for angling with BV using one... To be honest they seem a tad Holy Grail- ish along with Avocets and Original Walker Mk IV's

As so few were made (were they...???) There may be a dearth of information... all the best with your search

Aitch
Thanks Aitch. It’s the members that have already posted much about Craftversas, and their own Craftversas I hoped to get some answers from, people who proclaim their knowledge on many things traditional and can be seen on their posts on the subject. All the surviving early Walker carp rods are accounted for, why not rods like the Craftversa, Judd’sSenior Wizards and as real other rare rods.

Lea Dweller
Pike

Post by Lea Dweller »

I would hope that members with Craftversa answers would reply Andy. Having met you at Redditch, it is clear that you are enthusiastic and actively involved in cane rod production and refurbishment. If I had the answers that you seek I would certainly help, good luck! :Hat:
Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall!
Confucius

Greentura
Crucian Carp

Post by Greentura »

Lea Dweller wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 7:55 am I would hope that members with Craftversa answers would reply Andy. Having met you at Redditch, it is clear that you are enthusiastic and actively involved in cane rod production and refurbishment. If I had the answers that you seek I would certainly help, good luck! :Hat:
Thank you, and hope we can meet again, health was not good enough to travel earlier this year, maybe later in the year 👍

Lea Dweller
Pike

Post by Lea Dweller »

That would be good, we are all trying to gain knowledge! :Hat:
Confucius

Crucian
Eel

Post by Crucian »

I'm afraid I can't be very helpful regarding numbers built, but I wouldn't think it was many.
It was an expensive rod compared to other cane rods at the time and fibreglass rods were becoming very popular too.

Some time ago, I wanted to build a Craftversa replica and had some difficulty obtaining the taper. It wasn't until I restored an original rod for a forum member, that I had the opportunity to take accurate measurements.

I remember being told that the reverse taper on the butt joint couldn't be done on a standard planing form, but it was no problem.

Of Interest (to me at least) was the reverse tapered part of the rod, under the cork. I had assumed, wrongly, that the taper would be a straight taper to the end of the handle, but the taper alters quite quickly a short way down into the handle.

Sorry if I've rambled a bit, and sorry I can't be of more help :Hat:

Lea Dweller
Pike

Post by Lea Dweller »

Rambling is good! I wish I could help with more Craftversa queries! :Hat:
Confucius

Greentura
Crucian Carp

Post by Greentura »

Crucian wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 6:43 pm I'm afraid I can't be very helpful regarding numbers built, but I wouldn't think it was many.
It was an expensive rod compared to other cane rods at the time and fibreglass rods were becoming very popular too.

Some time ago, I wanted to build a Craftversa replica and had some difficulty obtaining the taper. It wasn't until I restored an original rod for a forum member, that I had the opportunity to take accurate measurements.

I remember being told that the reverse taper on the butt joint couldn't be done on a standard planing form, but it was no problem.

Of Interest (to me at least) was the reverse tapered part of the rod, under the cork. I had assumed, wrongly, that the taper would be a straight taper to the end of the handle, but the taper alters quite quickly a short way down into the handle.

Sorry if I've rambled a bit, and sorry I can't be of more help :Hat:
I too spent years trying to find an original before resorting to building my own replica. Being lent an original with permission to push pins into the cork to gain an accurate set of tapers was essential, and it’s those sharp changes under and just in front of the handle that lead me to making my own blanks on a Llewelyn rod mill. Originally I was to make only one, unless permission to make more replicas from the owner of another original was given, this was, by two more owners in fact, and I have to date made four replicas, with another three blanks ready to build, one passed on to a friend to build in his own style, and another two built slightly stepped up, about a pound or so test, a sort of ‘Tenchversa’.

PershoreHarrier
Rainbow Trout

Post by PershoreHarrier »

Sorry I also have no idea how many were manufactured by Milwards but as you may be aware from posts on here I have and use an original Milwards Craftversa. Mine was originally advertised for sale / part exchange on this very site back in 2015 / 2016 I think. It caused no end of trouble at the time that the poster withdrew the rod and departed the Forum. Before the poster left I made him a cash offer - no negotiation on either side - if it was of interest I would collect the rod in person and hand over the cash. That was the basis of the deal and the deal was duly completed. The rod came with the original bag but was somewhat tired. I handed the rod to Andrew Davis who replaced the intermediate rings (butt and tip rings retained) with new black rings which matched the original pattern exactly (I kept the originals which I still have for historical reference). Andrew Davis did an excellent job in bringing the rod back to a top quality condition. I use the rod two or three times a year and a fine rod it is without a doubt. But seriously its reputation is in my opinion totally over-hyped and that is probably due to its scarcity and links to Bernard Venables. I believe a very good original example of a Milwards Craftversa was sold on ebay last year for in excess of £3,000 so I can see the attraction for building replicas. Whether the replicas so far made to date by other rod makers are exact replicas of the Milwards rod I cannot say.

Of original Milwards Craftversas I am aware of possibly 5 in total although there are bound to be a fair few more than that.

Return to “Milwards Cane Rods”