Barton Court..unexpected surprise!

This forum belongs to the River Kennet.
Red Creel

Barton Court..unexpected surprise!

Post by Red Creel »

Afternoon all
A rather splendid day at Barton Court on friday with the usual suspects of dace, chub, perch, grayling and trout all gracing the net.What i did not expect though was a carp :shocked:.It ran me ragged for about ten minutes on the light trotting tackle i was using before revealing itself as a long and lean common carp of about eight pounds.Where on earth did it come from?..have had a few modest carp from downstream of Thatcham but never one from this far upstream.

Having said that though at one time there was a lonesome golden orfe that used to frequent a certain part of the fishery for years.How he managed to avoid all the pike baffled me as he stood out like a hi viz jacket.

Santiago
Wild Carp

Re: Barton Court..unexpected surprise!

Post by Santiago »

Well done sir! I have fond memories of my only visit to Barton Court. Nice grayling, trout and Perch. And a special 21/2 perch on a fake plastic maggot in one of the side streams.
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Davyr

Post by Davyr »

Red Creel wrote:Where on earth did it come from?
Isn't there a lake which is part of the fishery? If it's close enough to the river to be "connected" when there's a good flood on, might carp be able to "bridge the gap"?

Gary Bills
Rainbow Trout

Post by Gary Bills »

I need to consult my "Clifford", but I think there's a long history of carp in the Kennet?

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

And there are now catfish in the Kennet nearer Reading!!!
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Julian
Salmon

Post by Julian »

farliesbirthday wrote:I need to consult my "Clifford", but I think there's a long history of carp in the Kennet?
Didn't Chris Yates catch a carp from the Kennet in an APFA episode - or was that a different river?
There is no peace on earth like the peace of fishing in the early mornings

Julian
Salmon

Post by Julian »

Good catch Red Creel :thumb: - in fact excellent. If you had been told there was one carp in a stretch of river and you tried to catch it you probably never would.
There is no peace on earth like the peace of fishing in the early mornings

Bumble
Rainbow Trout

Post by Bumble »

There is a lake a Barton but its a long way from the river but further upstream at Avington the canal and the river are very close to each other.
Avington is very exclusive and they seldon allow people to course fish there however the head bailiff is goods friends with my brother and we all share the same surname "Culley" no relation though. We have opened negotiations to allow a few keen grayling anglers to fish there over xmas. Will keep you all informed.
Bumble

Davyr

Post by Davyr »

Julian wrote:Didn't Chris Yates catch a carp from the Kennet in an APFA episode - or was that a different river?
If it's the one I'm thinking of, I'm pretty sure that was the Hampshire Avon. :think:

GloucesterOldSpot

Post by GloucesterOldSpot »

davyr wrote:
Julian wrote:Didn't Chris Yates catch a carp from the Kennet in an APFA episode - or was that a different river?
If it's the one I'm thinking of, I'm pretty sure that was the Hampshire Avon. :think:
Yes it was. Possibly the Hale Park stretch (they certainly meet up on Hale Bridge at the end) or it may have been fimed upstream at Longford and only the final scene was filmed at Hale; I certainly didn't recognise the stretch Yates was fishing as being at Hale.

Return to “River Kennet”