Original landing nets

Traditional landing nets large and small.
David
Dace

Original landing nets

Post by David »

I'm not sure of the exact date but around 1989 I was strolling around some lakes in Kent with Jim Gibbinson I happened to mention an angler I had known in the late 1950s Roy Parfitt, who was one of the first anglers I had known who was able to catch Carp. Thinking he would not know the man, Jim told me some of the mans history. He told me how the man met his death, and another fact he also told me was that, Roy Parfitt was the man who designed and made the first landing net for Carp. I wonder if this was the net accredited to Richard Walker ? Apparently he was well known in the early years of Carp catching. Does anyone have any information to add to Roy Parfitt knowledge. Thanks
Last edited by David on Sun Sep 10, 2023 7:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

SooperClooper
Silver Bream

Re: Original landing nets

Post by SooperClooper »

Whilst not being able to help with any details about Roy Parfitt I haven't heard anything of Jim Gibbinson for some time, is he still fishing?

Tony.J.Newman
Silver Bream

Post by Tony.J.Newman »

I believe the poor chap is suffering from dementia and not at all well.

JPC
Bleak

Post by JPC »

Roy Parfitt was at one time the Kent Regional organiser for the British Carp Study Group, he along with Brian Burcome made available to BCSG members an Ash armed landing net. Quite a few were made and sold to Group members, the nets being very light and of a decent size. Unfortunately for Brian and Roy Dick Walker wrote an article in the Groups magazine about landing nets and heavily criticised the construction of the Groups net. After this Roy and Brian decided to stop making them, there are still a few of them around, mostly in the hands of Group members.
With regards to Jim, he is not very well and has not fished for at least five years. He does not have dementia but it is not for me to discuss his medical issues.

MWithell
Chub

Post by MWithell »

I used to enjoy reading Jim Gibbinson's articles. I remember one of his comments on seasickness: first you're afraid you're going to die and then then you're afraid you won't.
Malcolm

Catching lob-worms is one of the greater Outdoor Sports. It is the most hilarious game in the world (John C Moore)

David
Dace

Post by David »

A few years back I emailed Bob Roberts and asked him about Jim Gibbinson. He told me he asked Jim son about the man. Bob told me Jim's son said his dad had been treated for the big 'C' but was at that time recovering well. But that is all I know

Return to “Traditional Landing Nets”