Horton Evans Adaptacast Patent No. 608671

Other traditional odds and sods can be found in here.
Duckett
Tench

Horton Evans Adaptacast Patent No. 608671

Post by Duckett »

After a couple of years of looking, I have been lucky enough to acquire an Adaptacast complete with box, instructions and both LHW & RHW adaptors!

I’ve seen them in black and silver metal but mine appears to be solid brass and looks like it’s only been handled from the box but never used. The nut and bolt where vey tight and needed loosening then tightening, as the instruction leaflet states you should.

Below is a photograph of the full set. Also, as I needed to take it apart to swap the adaptors over, I’ve posted pictures of all the parts as I can’t find this anywhere on TFF. The process of removing the nut and bolt was straightforward though, interestingly, the holes in both the long base plate (that the reel attaches to) and the upper plate (that attaches to the reel bands) are both drilled in such a way that you have to screw the bolt out and then back in. To me, this suggests considerable thought around design and some quality to the manufacture. The black block in the middle is a piece of rubber material. Again, the hole is of such a size that you have to screw the bolt through it.

The final photograph is of it fitted to my Millwards Floatrover and 3.5 inch Aerial Popular. In trying it on various rod and reel combinations, I noticed that the nut and bolt started to loosen quite quickly. So, I trimmed 2 nylon washers and fitted these between nut and body, then bolt and body. These appear to have resolved the problem.

The only part of the instructions I haven’t followed is to fit a reel almost full of line. I don’t have one, so I’ll see how it works with a normal amount of line for trotting. Expecting line twist but can deal with that easily with so little line. I’m hoping to give it a go on the Suffolk Stour tomorrow!

Phil

From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Humber67
Gudgeon

Re: Horton Evans Adaptacast Patent No. 608671

Post by Humber67 »

That’s a good find and very brassy!!
Used Adaptercasts for last 10 years first with Grice reels and now Allcocks. Cheap braid to fill the spools helps topped with quality braids to fish with never had any problem with twist.
One tip is to slide short lengths of cable sleeve on each end as the thin metal can cut into your finger when controlling larger fish. It also stops the reel fittings working lose. Just visible in below photo
Martin
When I grow up I want to be ME

Duckett
Tench

Re: Horton Evans Adaptacast Patent No. 608671

Post by Duckett »

Humber67 wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 10:56 am That’s a good find and very brassy!!
Used Adaptercasts for last 10 years first with Grice reels and now Allcocks. Cheap braid to fill the spools helps topped with quality braids to fish with never had any problem with twist.
One tip is to slide short lengths of cable sleeve on each end as the thin metal can cut into your finger when controlling larger fish. It also stops the reel fittings working lose. Just visible in below photo
Martin
Thanks for the suggestion re: the rubber Martin. Sadly, my fishing trip today had to be cancelled but I shall take some along and experiment. Glad to hear someone has been using one successfully! Magnificent fish that!

Phil
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Return to “Other Traditional Items of Tackle”