Hi from Wisconsin

Just joined the Traditional Fisherman's Forum, why not pop into this forum and introduce yourself.
Polecat501
Dace

Hi from Wisconsin

Post by Polecat501 »

Hi Everyone, just introducing myself.

I moved to Wisconsin, USA from the UK in 2000, to semi-retire and try to catch some of the very different fishes in this part of the World. I’ve found that “the more things change, the more they stay the same”; traditional float fishing designs and techniques work extremely well here. I’ve also caught many “new to me” species on the float (some I’ve had to research in books afterwards to identify, they are so strange!), and I’ve also come into contact with some of my old fishy friends from fishing in the UK and Europe. Common Carp and Brown Trout live wild and happy here, after being originally stocked in the 1880’s. They’ve both certainly settled in and have become important game species here for those Anglers who like to tangle with hard-fighting big fish.

The fish here have never seen properly set up float methods before and thus I seem to have all the best float fishing to myself. As I’ve always made many of my own floats, I’ve started handcrafting traditional floats for people I meet while fishing; I’ve made many new fishing buddies and helped their fishing in that way.

I’m a big fan of fishing the centrepin and I have a nice collection of Young’s reels, all users not display cabinet specimens. I’m also rediscovering the fun of fishing with the ABU 500 series reels and I’m starting to build a small collection of these, as users not display cabinet specimens. Next item on my wish list is to find and buy one or two good condition Avon style split cane rods; as I think these would be perfect for a lot of my closer range fishing in this neck of the woods.

Mark
Head Bailiff

Re: Hi from Wisconsin

Post by Mark »

Welcome to the forum.
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Mr B
Arctic Char

Post by Mr B »

Welcome to the Forum Polcat501
You not only like traditional fishing tackle but must be a sucker for Polcats and Levie jeans!
You will find a mine of knowledge on the Forum... enjoy.
Mark (aka Mr B)
Sounds like the fishing there is very good!
The close season is an important and interesting time for the Angler who set out to catch big fish. It is a timely opportunity for him to make new tackle or renovate old. There are no end of jobs to do, apart from those horrible things called Gardens!

Wanderer
Brown Trout

Post by Wanderer »

Hello and welcome to the forum, Polecat 501.

All the best
"Not all those who Wander are Lost !"

Grumpy
Arctic Char

Post by Grumpy »

Welcome to the forum.

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

Welcome aboard :Hat:

Once you've found your way around the forum, I'd love to see some of the fish you've encountered and the countryside you fish in. I've always thought that our cousins across the pond have missed a trick by ignoring float fishing. Short rods, lures and those big bobbers are okay but watching a trotted float is so much better.

Wally Roy
Roach

Post by Wally Roy »

Welcome.

GameKeeper
Bleak

Post by GameKeeper »

A very warm welcome,hope you find an Avon rod over there

Coral Maestro
Chub

Post by Coral Maestro »

Greetings from the TFF!
What do they know of fishing who know only one fish and one way to fish for him?
- Jack Hargreaves.

Aitch
Pike

Post by Aitch »

Welcome Sir... :Hat:
Just one more cast love, and I'll be on me way home

Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but pictures and memories

Return to “New Member Information and Welcome”