copper wrapping wire

The Chapmans Rods forum.
Olly
Wild Carp

Re: copper wrapping wire

Post by Olly »

Many rods had copper wire - on the butt ring - lower ferrules - tip rod rings.

I have it on Hardy rods, Chapmans, and Sharpe's of Aberdeen. It was I understand to prevent damage to whippings with the new spinning lines made from threads rather than catgut! :Scared:

OldRod
Grayling

Post by OldRod »

I went straight to Gilbert's reply this morning, but I have now (belatedly) looked at the other responses to his post.
Some lovely work there, gentlemen!
At the end of the game, the pawn and the King go back into the same box........

Jeremy Croxall
Zander

Post by Jeremy Croxall »

I had to remove copper wire recently to change a ring. I carefully plucked out the end, wound it around a bit of bamboo as it came off, soaked it in cellulose thinners for a few days and then ran it through a rag. It was clean enough to put back.
A small brass bristled brush (Wilkos) can be used to finish it off once it's back on the rod.
"Oh for want of rod and line I'd fish this stream serene, sublime".

Gilbert
Rudd

Post by Gilbert »

OldRod wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 12:36 pm
Gilbert wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 8:46 pm
OldRod wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 2:04 pm Hi Gilbert. Where WAS the copper wire on your 500?
it was above the male butt ferrule , and on the female sides of the others + the lower leg of the butt ring. .

it was only the second cane rod i did . i wanted to move the butt ring to accommodate a 7 ring pattern, and in my ignorance decided that old fashioned wire had to go . my education has progressed somewhat since then.
it has some medium nasty black stain which further reduced my enthusiasm for keeping authenticity.

now of course i know it is a very early rod . pre gold label , and a very fine bit of cane - stains not withstanding.
i will change the wraps back to to the original green , and omit the inters , but keep the 7 ring format which works very well. and reinstate the copper wraps as they were originally .i will also stain the blank a few shades darker which will make the staining a little less obvious . i won't attempt to remove them as they are part of the rods' history.

as for the rod itself it behaves much more like a baby MKIV than an Avon . it;s a nice thing and perfect for a swingtip.
G
Thanks for that information Gilbert. I was completely unaware that copper wire was used anywhere on any rod, but I am far from being knowledgeable on such matters.
I refurbished a 500 (with kind help with information from John Chapman) to deluxe specification in respect of the rings and spacing, and had a similar problem with the staining from the old rings, especially as I was changing the ring spacing.
After much investigation, and largely unsuccessful voodoo-like practices with oxalic acid etc., I decided to embrace the staining as part of the rod's character.
I am sure it would fail any examination by esteemed TFFers, as the logo and whipping near the handle is nothing like the original, and my handiwork is definitely amateurish, but I am for the most part happy with it. I find it a lovely rod to use.

I would very much like to see photos of your completed rod, especially the details of the copper wire.
Best wishes
Keith
hi Keith
thanks for your comments .

my pal wants me to customise his rod with the copper wire ... i don't have a problem doing that as there are plenty of 500s dressed in their proper clothes , so it will simply be a custom build . i will also change his butt(!) from a plastic sap to a cork trumpet.
his rod will be done before mine ----mine works - his doesn't - so i will post pics of that when it is done . mine will probably a winter job.

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

I recently refurbished an Aspindale's Kimdale with copper whippings ... see this thread ,,,

viewtopic.php?p=447977&hilit=copper#p447977
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Gilbert
Rudd

Post by Gilbert »

ImageImageImageImage
OldRod wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 12:36 pm
Gilbert wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 8:46 pm
OldRod wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 2:04 pm Hi Gilbert. Where WAS the copper wire on your 500?
it was above the male butt ferrule , and on the female sides of the others + the lower leg of the butt ring. .

it was only the second cane rod i did . i wanted to move the butt ring to accommodate a 7 ring pattern, and in my ignorance decided that old fashioned wire had to go . my education has progressed somewhat since then.
it has some medium nasty black stain which further reduced my enthusiasm for keeping authenticity.

now of course i know it is a very early rod . pre gold label , and a very fine bit of cane - stains not withstanding.
i will change the wraps back to to the original green , and omit the inters , but keep the 7 ring format which works very well. and reinstate the copper wraps as they were originally .i will also stain the blank a few shades darker which will make the staining a little less obvious . i won't attempt to remove them as they are part of the rods' history.

as for the rod itself it behaves much more like a baby MKIV than an Avon . it;s a nice thing and perfect for a swingtip.
G
Thanks for that information Gilbert. I was completely unaware that copper wire was used anywhere on any rod, but I am far from being knowledgeable on such matters.
I refurbished a 500 (with kind help with information from John Chapman) to deluxe specification in respect of the rings and spacing, and had a similar problem with the staining from the old rings, especially as I was changing the ring spacing.
After much investigation, and largely unsuccessful voodoo-like practices with oxalic acid etc., I decided to embrace the staining as part of the rod's character.
I am sure it would fail any examination by esteemed TFFers, as the logo and whipping near the handle is nothing like the original, and my handiwork is definitely amateurish, but I am for the most part happy with it. I find it a lovely rod to use.

I would very much like to see photos of your completed rod, especially the details of the copper wire.
Best wishes
Keith
as requested , a couple of pics of my mate's 500 in copper

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

Very nice!

JAA
Crucian Carp

Post by JAA »

Have a look at bobbin wire. There's a nice set of four colours for only a tenner (more or less)

https://roadrunnerelectronics.com/produ ... d-colours/
RRW-A-105-Assorted-Wire-0.19mm-dia.-100x100.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by JAA on Wed Aug 10, 2022 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸,.·´¯ ><(((º>
Cole aka JAA
https://crucians.org/
https://www.anotherangler.net/

Gilbert
Rudd

Post by Gilbert »

Olly wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 1:02 pmVery nice!
Thanks Olly

he has now purchased another (very good) 500 . He wants a matching pair . rodwork seems to be hunting me down atm - like i haven't got enough. still he won't see another pair like it and i will admit to thinking a pair would be rather nice .

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

I have a matching pair of 500s courtesy of Paul Cook's hands! Delightful.

Return to “Chapmans Cane Rods”