copper wrapping wire

The Chapmans Rods forum.
Gilbert
Rudd

Re: copper wrapping wire

Post by Gilbert »

Wallys-Cast wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 3:55 pm Old transformers, electro magnets and solenoids are a great source of copper wire. I stripped an old shake- to- charge flash light and obtained about 1000 feet of suitable copper wire.
If a long length of the wire is doubled up and well twisted with an electric drill it produces the perfect twisted copper found on most of the old Chapman, Hardy and Sharpes rods.
Heres an example of it on a J S Sharpe.
Hi Wal

the original wire was single strand so that is what i will use . i hane ordered a spool of the fly tying variety . if i like it i will use it . if not i will try another brand .
G

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

It looks ok if used untwisted too but most of the Chapmans rods used twisted copper. Heres an old example of a Sharpes rod I did with untwisted copper.
The fly tying copper is usually very soft, you have to be careful using a pull through to finish the whip as it breaks very easily. You don't get much on a spool either.

Gilbert
Rudd

Post by Gilbert »

Wallys-Cast wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 7:44 am It looks ok if used untwisted too but most of the Chapmans rods used twisted copper. Heres an old example of a Sharpes rod I did with untwisted copper.
The fly tying copper is usually very soft, you have to be careful using a pull through to finish the whip as it breaks very easily. You don't get much on a spool either.
you are right of course . i am a bit concerned as to how well the flytying copper will look , and the practical pros and cons of using it ---and cost.

thing is , i don't intend to make a habit of using copper . just my 500 because i want it back to "as built" and my pals rod --- he just likes the look and wants his 500 to wear copper , because he likes the look and not with the idea of a resto con. he will keep the rod . for him , simply a custom rebuild

G

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

Gilbert, if the fly tying gear turns out no good and you want to try some of this stuff just PM me with your address details and I'll send you some.

Wal.

Tonytoned
Arctic Char

Post by Tonytoned »

Gilbert wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 2:01 pm when i rebuilt my 500 i removed the copper wrapping . belatedly i realise that was a bad idea , and now i want to do the rod again with reinstated copper wire .

can anyone tell me what gauge i need and if possible where i can buy some ---do Chapmans still have stock ???

G
Hello Gilbert

When I refurbished my 550 I ordered the copper twist from John at Chapmans rods, at the time it did cost a bit but it keeps the rod looking original.

Hope this helps :Hat:

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

Tonytoned wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 10:13 am
Gilbert wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 2:01 pm when i rebuilt my 500 i removed the copper wrapping . belatedly i realise that was a bad idea , and now i want to do the rod again with reinstated copper wire .

can anyone tell me what gauge i need and if possible where i can buy some ---do Chapmans still have stock ???

G
Hello Gilbert

When I refurbished my 550 I ordered the copper twist from John at Chapmans rods, at the time it did cost a bit but it keeps the rod looking original.

That looks absolutely perfect Tony, lovely job.
Wal.

Gilbert
Rudd

Post by Gilbert »

Tonytoned wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 10:13 am

G
Hello Gilbert

i didn't know if Chapmans were still taking orders . that would be my preferred course of action. that looks really good . nice work !

Gilbert
Rudd

Post by Gilbert »

Wallys-Cast wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 9:40 am Gilbert, if the fly tying gear turns out no good and you want to try some of this stuff just PM me with your address details and I'll send you some.

Wal.
that's kind of you Wal.
i will give Chapmans a call but if that is a no go i will let you know.

Gilbert
Rudd

Post by Gilbert »

I spoke to John Chapman this morning , and he can supply the copper wire so the jobs a goodun.

he also said that very few 500s were ever supplied with copper wrap . fortunately what has been undone can also be redone .

thanks for your comments fellas .
G

OldRod
Grayling

Post by OldRod »

Gilbert wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 8:46 pm
OldRod wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 2:04 pm Hi Gilbert. Where WAS the copper wire on your 500?
it was above the male butt ferrule , and on the female sides of the others + the lower leg of the butt ring. .

it was only the second cane rod i did . i wanted to move the butt ring to accommodate a 7 ring pattern, and in my ignorance decided that old fashioned wire had to go . my education has progressed somewhat since then.
it has some medium nasty black stain which further reduced my enthusiasm for keeping authenticity.

now of course i know it is a very early rod . pre gold label , and a very fine bit of cane - stains not withstanding.
i will change the wraps back to to the original green , and omit the inters , but keep the 7 ring format which works very well. and reinstate the copper wraps as they were originally .i will also stain the blank a few shades darker which will make the staining a little less obvious . i won't attempt to remove them as they are part of the rods' history.

as for the rod itself it behaves much more like a baby MKIV than an Avon . it;s a nice thing and perfect for a swingtip.
G
Thanks for that information Gilbert. I was completely unaware that copper wire was used anywhere on any rod, but I am far from being knowledgeable on such matters.
I refurbished a 500 (with kind help with information from John Chapman) to deluxe specification in respect of the rings and spacing, and had a similar problem with the staining from the old rings, especially as I was changing the ring spacing.
After much investigation, and largely unsuccessful voodoo-like practices with oxalic acid etc., I decided to embrace the staining as part of the rod's character.
I am sure it would fail any examination by esteemed TFFers, as the logo and whipping near the handle is nothing like the original, and my handiwork is definitely amateurish, but I am for the most part happy with it. I find it a lovely rod to use.

I would very much like to see photos of your completed rod, especially the details of the copper wire.
Best wishes
Keith
At the end of the game, the pawn and the King go back into the same box........

Return to “Chapmans Cane Rods”