Chapman 500 - "Styles" Of Restoration

The Chapmans Rods forum.
Gilbert
Rudd

Re: Chapman 500 - "Styles" Of Restoration

Post by Gilbert »

Without wishing to cast nasturtiums on any of the foregoing , i think my 500 makes a dreadful float rod . maybe Chapmans altered the tapers on later rods - mine is '50s . so i have it with low bells , a threaded tip and the 7 rings of the 600 . it's a great "tip" rod and has a lot more power than my James Avon which is a completely different animal and is very happy chucking a float.
G
Last edited by Gilbert on Tue Mar 05, 2024 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Damflask
Grayling

Post by Damflask »

This is my 'restored' 500 in all of its OTT pomp.
It's an eBay purchase from a while back. It must have taken a lot of work to do all that.
I love it!

ImageImageimg][/img]
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Damflask on Wed Jul 27, 2022 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

Very nice Simon, some time and effort gone into that revamp.

Wal.

Damflask
Grayling

Post by Damflask »

It says 'Paul Bray' on it.
Ps. The two DP's you did for me, are up there with the greats also!

Barbelbonce
Rudd

Post by Barbelbonce »

Many thanks, all, for responses.
Hi, Gilbert: I'm no gardener....but what are your specific worries about the 500 being a dreadful float rod? What doesn't it do?
My thinking has always been that I will fish it with a heavy float, as I do with my bridge-rung 500DL, thereby, hopefully, avoiding the need to give it to much welly on the cast. (I found a much earlier thread which described doing so resulting in a broken 500...Ah, yes; Catfish.017, below, so NOT "much earlier"!).
I don't think the 500's straight tapers have ever changed, but there may be differences in batches due to the setting up of hand-planing forms?
I love my 500DL as a tip rod, so I have changed the tip ring on the "new" one to a straight stand-off, to match the colouration of the Aqualite butt ring. I don't need two threaded tips....I think! But I have a full set of full open bridges and ditto of low bells, each with their matching Aqualites, ready, should I wish to switch back from high bells.
Damflask: my brain has stopped working, not unusually! What are DPs? Dennis Pyes? - or should that be pies...?!: -cue Moley!!
Mike

Gilbert
Rudd

Post by Gilbert »

Hullo BB

what it doesn't do is flick a float . you have to use rod speed rather than tip speed. yes , i think there is a risk of a busted rod . - I've dunnit , many years ago.
i have a 12ft Suredale (with a spare shorter tip)among others that will take care of float fishing in a much nicer fashion. horses for courses , and cane rods don't have the breadth of ability that some of those black rods do, so why compromise ? just get another rod out of the bag .

Barbelbonce
Rudd

Post by Barbelbonce »

It's fairly common for rods to be bought by collectors and put inside a rack and never fished with again. I can sort of sympathise with this because who'd want to break something so rare...and so expensive!
Then there's the school of thought that a rod should be unrestored and left in its original condition.
Another thought is that it should be re-furbished to as new condition, but lately this seems to be taken even further and people ask for a rod to be finished to a very, very high standard indeed...way beyond what the manufacturer could or would ever have achieved.

I can see the argument for all three ( or four, if you will) ways. Each has it's merits, each has its pitfalls.
I found this when looking for something completely unrelated.

It's from the Sage Nobby, on 29 August 2012 (very nearly 10 years ago!), in the thread "Re: Captains of west croydon split cane rods" in the section viewforum.php?f=93

This post might also go in the more recent string: viewforum.php?f=28 ......How to copy??

Mike

Gilbert
Rudd

Post by Gilbert »

Barbelbonce wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 10:12 am Many thanks, all, for responses.
Hi, Gilbert: I'm no gardener....but what are your specific worries about the 500 being a dreadful float rod? What doesn't it do?
My thinking has always been that I will fish it with a heavy float, as I do with my bridge-rung 500DL, thereby, hopefully, avoiding the need to give it to much welly on the cast. (I found a much earlier thread which described doing so resulting in a broken 500...Ah, yes; Catfish.017, below, so NOT "much earlier"!).
I don't think the 500's straight tapers have ever changed, but there may be differences in batches due to the setting up of hand-planing forms?
I love my 500DL as a tip rod, so I have changed the tip ring on the "new" one to a straight stand-off, to match the colouration of the Aqualite butt ring. I don't need two threaded tips....I think! But I have a full set of full open bridges and ditto of low bells, each with their matching Aqualites, ready, should I wish to switch back from high bells.
Damflask: my brain has stopped working, not unusually! What are DPs? Dennis Pyes? - or should that be pies...?!: -cue Moley!!
Mike
Further to...... yesterday i was able to compare my 500 v/s that of a pal of mine .there is roughly 10 years between the 2 rods , mine being the elder .
the ferrules on both are completely interchangeable so not much if any difference in taper , but mine is a far more powerful blank. --so little difference in taper but a lot of difference in the cane .

Hoppy-Doffton
Perch

Post by Hoppy-Doffton »

I love my 500s and I have one that needs new rings. Can anyone please tell me the type of rings that Chapmans use on them? Are they low bells?
To enjoy our sport as it should be enjoyed, our surroundings must be beautiful, for your true angler enjoys nature as much as he enjoys fishing. "BB"

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

You do have a choice - high or low - they both work. The t/c is 1lb - same as the 600 - and Chapman's Shelford float rod at 11ft.
All having - without looking - variable tapers.

Return to “Chapmans Cane Rods”