I am a bit cross

This is the place to discuss the fishing baits.
Old Man River
Eel

I am a bit cross

Post by Old Man River »

I have a wormery , I have had it for about two years and it always has loads of nice fresh wiggly worms, just ready for collecting anytime I feel the need.
Two weeks ago before we went on holiday I checked it, it was fine, all my wriggly little mates were doing well, hundreds of ”em, I gave them all a feed of bits of vegetable peelings, dandelion leaves, tea bags etc etc, all the stuff that they like to munch on, replaced the lid and left it.
It is in a shady place so it would not and did not dry up.
Went to get myself a handful of worms this morning as I am off to a local pond for a few hours tomorrow.

Disaster !

The whole box was empty of wormies, just a few very tiny baby ones in the bottom in amongst the newspaper lining.

Amongst the soiI found this little sod.

It is a common shrew, it was dead as dodos.

The little sod must have munched its way through the whole box of worms, the box is about 24 ins x 18 ins x 14 ins , and has a close fitting lid which was in place .How it got in is a mystery.
Seemingly they like worms and need to eat at least 2 or 3 times their own bodyweight of food every day, so it must have thought it had found heaven. Well I hope it had stomach ache before it died.Little sod ! I have been cherishing and looking after my livestock for ages, now I know how a farmer feels when he gets some fatality amongst his cows, pigs, sheep or whatever .

I just hope he did not invite all his mates as I will have to start and restock now, looks like I will be out with a torch and bait box on the local cricket pitch and grassy areas for a few evenings.

🤬🤬🤬🤬

Dave
Hurrumph....... whatever happened to Handlines ?

Troydog
Tench

Re: I am a bit cross

Post by Troydog »

Well Dave, I really feel for you, since worms are my favourite bait. I have buckets of lobworms, and like you, a carefully cultivated compost heap for the reds. We don’t have shrews but we did have rats until the TFF membership put me on course to eradicate them.
Worming is almost as much fun as fishing, so I wish you luck!!
Trouble is, the fish just don't read the books......
John Harding

BoltonBullfinch
Arctic Char

Post by BoltonBullfinch »

Do you want me to bring some to the match for you David?

Thanks
BB
'We fish a lot' Forrest Gump.

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

That little feller looks like he wouldn't turn his nose up to anything.

Homer Simpson
Grayling

Post by Homer Simpson »

Wallys-Cast wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 10:46 am That little feller looks like he wouldn't turn his nose up to anything.
Not now it’s joined the choir invisible.
Feeding the worms is all it’s good for now, which is quite ironic.

Jeremy Croxall
Zander

Post by Jeremy Croxall »

Just been to check mine, thought it might be a shrewd move... :Scared:
Sorry David :surrender:
"Oh for want of rod and line I'd fish this stream serene, sublime".

Jeremy Croxall
Zander

Post by Jeremy Croxall »

Wallys-Cast wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 10:46 am That little feller looks like he wouldn't turn his nose up to anything.
Or his toes..... :whistle:
"Oh for want of rod and line I'd fish this stream serene, sublime".

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

Shrews and worms! When tench fishing some years ago a shrew or shrews were constantly wandering past near my feet. I noticed when I took a worm of the hook that Mr Shrew ate it. I them put out a new unused one pinned down by a matchstick. I never knew shrews were so strong or voracious. After a tug of war with the worm and being catapulted by it stretching to and fro the shrew managed to run off with the worm dangling between its legs.

Bobthefloat
Rainbow Trout

Post by Bobthefloat »

:Chuckle:

Return to “Traditional Fishing Bait”